Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Scratching the Surface

I have noted before how cats can change their habits, but with Cammie, it’s more a matter of continuing to evolve the ones she has. I was reading some of my entries written when she first came to stay with me, and how cautious she was with me and the other cats. She has changed greatly, though she still hisses at the slightest displeasure.


For a while now, I have been scratching her chest when she provides the opportunity. She will be snoozing comfortably, and then stretch, twisting her lithe form, and come to rest on her back. Initially, I scratched hesitantly, unsure of how she would react. Now I know that she likes it, though I tend not to press my luck.


But the other day, while I was rubbing her fur, she started purring. Cammie rarely purrs except when lying on me, but she purred this time. And, just as when she is lying on my chest, I know that she is ready to leave when the purring stops. It stopped, I ceased scratching, and she was off to do something else.


I think of this as an instance not of my princess allowing me to rub her chest, to touch her in a way that’s new, but of permitting herself to enjoy something. I wonder if she had much of that in the days before she was rescued. She knows she is safe in her home, and with me, and every now and then, when she experiences something new, she may think to herself, “This is rather nice, too.” That’s always a pleasant discovery to make, whether one is feline or human.

12 comments:

  1. How adorable Cammie is! She's learning to allow herself to be vulnerable with you, and I'll bet that makes your heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww - we certainly agree that it sounds like she has determined one more thing that makes her happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post seems bittersweet to me: So wonderful that she was purring, obviously contented to have her chest scratched, but a bit sad too, that she probably didn't have this level of care and security before she came to live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cammie is so fortunate to have you in her life! You are so in tune with her physical and emotional needs. So glad you got her back from those evil people before too much damage could have been done. She is now in her safe home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so terrific to read about how much Cammie has changed since she's come to live with you. It's amazing what a little patience and love can accomplish. You've done wonders with her, John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Albert is not a cuddly cat...he prefers the Prof to me....the Prof is as aloof as he is

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Cammie is now allowing herself to enjoy nice things like tummy rubs. She trusts you and now feels she can enjoy life - that she had love and security.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is heartwarming that Cammie is relaxed enough to allow herself to enjoy those pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cammie has certainly come a long way since she first arrived. It is so wonderful to see the trust you and she have developed.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete