Thursday, July 20, 2017

Wilder Life

Sometimes I see wilder life than my cats. During my holidays, I took an early morning bicycle ride, and saw these rabbits, who were going to work with the humans. I have seen quite a few rabbits in both residential and commercial districts of the town. I’m not sure if they always live near where I see them, but these two probably did. This location is not far from a park.



And you may recall that, during my holidays, I saw, while on my way to do some shopping, a deer by the side of the street. This one I observed more recently. He was outside the Ramada Inn (formerly the Heidelberg) and seeking to cross the town’s major north/south thoroughfare. There are parks near either side of this street, but none in which a deer would live permanently; there are houses and pavement for miles in either direction. Where this fellow came from or where he was going I don’t know.


He did cross the street safely, however. Automobiles slowed down for him, and he knew when to cross. I have seen deer in the midst of town, during the day; they seem to be wary of people and cars, but not unduly afraid of them. They know to stay away from them, but are otherwise undaunted by their presence. I think the deer like eating the leaves of trees on lawns and in gardens, though why they should go to such trouble when there are trees in the parks by the river, I don’t know.


If you enlarge the photographs, you can see that this fellow has antlers just starting. He may be a youngster. I am sure he made it back to his friends and family without incident, as deer being struck within the town is a rarity. Why he would risk it at all, I can’t say.

10 comments:

  1. Yikes! My heart would be in my mouth, seeing deer wandering the streets like that. I know deer are plentiful here, but I think too often they end up as road kill, particularly in certain outlying area. I don't, however, see them right in town! (I'm more apt to hear a coyote than to see a deer.)

    Fingers crossed he remained safe...and has decided to stay away from the area altogether, somewhere safer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it has something to do with territory? Each one has to stake out their own claim, but this one appears so young...guess I know diddly squat about deer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok the rabbits in neighborhoods we understand - but we don't get the deer thing either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We often see deer here which is not surprising as we live in a rural location. However the country deer seem to have far less road sense than your deer. They will often unexpectedly jump out from the hedge into the road. Luckily we know where they hang out, but anyone not used to the road could have a nasty shock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one animal I have yet to see on our property although I saw tracks at our well once. When living at our old home there was hardly a day go by you wouldn't see a deer along the side of the road or in a field. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks as though he is trying to get change out of the parking meters...I bet he is. Has to feed his brothers and sisters after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have unfortunately been involved in two deer/ auto interfaces. One, as a passenger,on a major highway, where the deer caused several vehicles to go swerve of control in an attempt to avoid the animal before it was killed and several humans seriously injured. And another time when I was returning late from work fhrough a wooded area and a deer, running full speed, came out of the wood and slammed into my passenger door as I was driving, shattering the glass and essentially ruining my car. I still love them but now when I see one my blood runs cold with fear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We occasionally have deer make their way into the city, usually with sad endings. One of the guys I work with had a deer crash through his patio doors and die on his daughter's bed.

    I certainly hope this one made it safely back to the countryside.

    Have a great weekend.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope the deer finds his way to a safer and less urban area. I think with human habitation taking over more of the wild areas we are seeing more encounters with wild animals in urban area. There are many bears now in the suburbs where I grew up on the west coast. Luckily only raccoons, coyotes and skunks here in Toronto (and the occasional deer.) but I bet your feline housemates would enjoy some wildlife viewing from their window.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the deer was OK. I only see rabbits around here at dusk.

    ReplyDelete