Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Our Path Upwards

Things improved at the cosy apartment over the weekend. Tucker is eating again, though not as much as I would like. He is down to six kilograms now, which, while not a bad weight, is quite light for the roly poly. I can feel how he has lost poundage when I pick him up. I would like him to put a bit more on. But he is eating, and he is behaving normally now, which are good signs.


Parker is eating, as well. Sometimes he surprises me with how much he eats. It depends on the day and the food. One day, he didn’t seem to care for anything, so I resorted to a tin of food of a kind that he had previously liked, one that isn’t really very good for cats, though at this stage of Puck’s life, long-term effects of diet don’t matter a great deal. He ate three quarters of the tin’s contents at one meal. So I bought more the next day; it was a clearance item, on sale, and I purchased the remaining fifteen tins. I didn’t want to be caught in the situation, so familiar to me, of wishing I had obtained more of something when I had had the chance. If he decides he no longer likes it, or cannot eat it, it will not be wasted.


My orange-boy also continues to take an interest in his surroundings. The weather has warmed - for now - and I was able to open the windows a bit, despite the high winds. He enjoyed that.


Raleigh meanwhile has reverted quite a bit. He is afraid of me, and, since he was swatted by Renn for trying to jump up on the couch on his way to my lap, no longer sits on me. I will have to socialize him over again, to a great extent. However, he still plays and lounges in the heated cat-bed and on the furniture. His eye still runs, but returning to a full tablet of Prednisolone each day has taken his mouth back to its improved state. And he its eating fully, allowing me to crush his medicine into his food.


Cammie continues to wet in the library. I am going to try Feliway again, since I have found a source of it in my town. There are apparently two versions, one to reduce friction between cats and the other to reduce improper urination. My princess requires both right now.


As for the other two beasts, Renn and Josie are doing well, though I need to pay more attention to the latter. My Chubs is the sort of cat who asks for attention only when I am on my way to somewhere or something, and too frequently gets put off with a promise of petting later. Renn will need a dental procedure, and I don’t want to delay it too long, as it may be causing him discomfort.


While the situation could be better, it could also be worse, so I am grateful for the gains we’ve made. Everyone is eating (enough), using the litter-boxes (mostly) and in comfort (I believe). That’s not bad for six cats and one human.

17 comments:

  1. We've never had problems with our cats NOT eating, except for Manny yesterday! The Hubby is sure that Manny loves people food (that roasted turkey) so much, that now he's distaining cat food. We even had to resort to our old trick of sprinkling nutritional yeast on his food, to engender more appetite. It worked...this time. May I suggest that you add a litter box in the library; maybe Cammie just needs a closer box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a litter-box there. She's been wetting in front of it...

      As for Manny, you may have to mix human and cat-food in decreasing proportions. I hate it when they get used to the wrong things.

      Delete
  2. Good point about litter boxes! How many are you able to reasonably have in your apartment? I doubt the general guideline of one per cat plus an extra would be reasonable!

    Fingers (and paws) crossed that everyone has a good week, including you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such good news! It's been awhile and I must admit I was worried for all of you. It's not easy dealing with less than healthy cats.

    The kitties send their purrs that this trend continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sigh* I have a similar wetting problem with my Potter, generally when he's displeased with the other cats. I believe that is what's known in feline circles as "a gesture."

    A mixed bag, but I'm glad you're at least getting a bit good news with the bad. That is sad about Raleigh, though. I've known cats like that who have had early traumatic experiences. It takes very little for them to revert to being wary of the world around them. Hopefully, he'll relearn to be more trusting soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some really good news overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like things are improving, which is good to hear. I certainly can relate to 6 cats and 1 human! As for Cammie's urinary issue, I have a similar problem with Jessica who is 19 and urinates next to the litter box. After I cleaned the soiled carpet, I placed human incontinence bed protectors next to the litter box, (they are more absorbent than puppy pads.) Jess goes on the pads, and I can easily remove the wet pad and put down a clean one whenever necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those, too, though she started it before I placed any there, so the carpet, even with good cleansers still must smell of urine to a cat. I know after a while, the pads themselves can smell of urine, and attract a cat's desire to wet there. I'd have nothing there if there were hard floors instead of fitted carpets.

      Delete
    2. That happened to me as well. I went on line and got ideas about how to remove cat urine odor from the carpet. I used Zero Odor, and it worked well. (You have to pour it on the carpet. Spraying it as the instructions say doesn't work). I also used a "Pet Odor Exterminator Candle" I ordered from Chewy, which to my surprise, worked very well. I use disposable pads, so once they're soiled they are thrown away and replaced.

      Delete
  7. We are grateful to hear of all your good news and hope it continues onward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad things finally looked up and I hope hope hope that the Princess will wet on the pad! And Raleigh, that is so sad you feel that way, dear boy. May it all leave your mind quickly. XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad there is mostly improvement all round. It is sad though that Raleigh has started to run from you again. He looked so happy when he chose sleep on your lap. Hopefully he will soon be doing so again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. but how are YOU doing !!! ???? ☺☺☺♥♥

    can you get "litter attract" easily? some varieties are the actual litter itself, some are an additive. it basically "attracts" the cat back to using the box.

    dai$y had an issue with the box years ago; we assumed it was something boomer did when she got OUT of the box, because a new box was purchased, a different brand of litter was tried, and the box itself was even moved to a quieter room, all to no avail. mom added some litter attract and she went back TO the box without any issues; and has had none, knock wood, since

    ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were that simple. Cammie is using the litter-boxes but wetting in the library in addition to using them. She even wet in front of the box that is kept in the library.

      Delete
  11. I am glad everyone is eating. Sorry about the peeing issue though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thinking of you and the cats. I do hope that everyone remains stable and you have a chance to catch your breath. Everyone does look happy and relaxed in their photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. How is Holly doing these days?

      Delete