Saturday, November 28, 2020

In the Exercise Yard

The Felons are growing, and becoming stronger and more confident. When I let Oleo and Bisto out into the exercise yard (the sitting room) now, the nylon tunnel is still a great deal of fun, but they are climbing the cat-trees now. They don’t bother with platforms – one stops there to taunt one’s brother – they climb straight up the post. I imagine this will change as they gain weight. To descend, they leap from platforms to lower cat-trees or to chairs; climbing down one foot at a time is boring: they fly three or four feet at a time. That’s like a human child routinely jumping from thirty foot heights. And, recalling the ancient days of my youth, I think that’s what children do, if they can get away with it. Kittens certainly do.

When they are loose in the bedroom, however, the Felons live up to their nickname and cause trouble among my computer cords. One evening, to re-connect whatever they disconnected, I placed my chair on the bed so that I could crawl under my desk. (Once again, remembering my childhood, I think I could do that with the suppleness of a snake; now I do it like one of those three hundred year old tortoises from the Galapagos Islands.)

When I looked, Oleo and Bisto had, naturally, made a plaything of my furniture, the skunky-nosed Bisto leading, as he does any physical activity. I apparently re-invented the Jungle Gym.







12 comments:

  1. Cords. Kittens are kryptonite to cords.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only adult cats, and adult humans, could be so easily entertained. :-)

    BTW, I smiled at your reference to the suppleness of youth; I'm currently feeling almost every joint in my body at the moment, from the cardio workouts I've been doing. I'm quite happy to be my current age, but I wouldn't mind a good dose of that former suppleness--and former quick recovery too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only they could have untangled the wires for you!
    Who knew you'd make a jungle gym right in your own home. No hammers
    nor nails and lumber. They are too cute for their own good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is a big adventure and they are enjoying every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone once said: "It's impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens. That's so true!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how kittens can make anything fun... Just as simple as a chair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! Bless! Your home is turning into
    a bit of a circus John..You'll have to
    get the whip out..HeHe! Have you been
    in touch with Walt Disney yet..! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I loved the description of a remembered youthful crawling under the chair- and today's doing of the same likened to a three hundred year old tortoise! Yessiree! I have had to be as such last week...my supple snake days are over, alas, and to retrieve her treasures from under the desk (up against the wall of course)...that makes to more of a challenge. One backs out of the enclosure with the carefulness reminiscent of what those robotic hands must do in surgery in modern day operating rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, crawling on the floor...it's the getting back up again that is the real issue for me.

    Those kittens are hilarious - you'll miss them when they've been adopted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wee doodz.... theez R dayz ewe wanna rememburr for yeerz ta come; we iz glad dad iz ree cordin de eventz oh yur life; two bad he waz knot abe bull two due sew on line with yur grate.. timez 100 grand parentz { un lezz him can find de scroll/ parchement/ and feathered writin tool he used bak then ;) !! ♥♥☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, crawling under the desk is easy...it's backing out again and standing up that is the really tough part! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes those wonderful days of bending down and simply reaching. They sure can invent ways to have fun

    ReplyDelete