Sunday, February 18, 2024

Renn the Oldster

Chapter two in the continuing updates on the health of the Cosy Apartment’s remaining cats features Renn. My big boy, now also officially my oldster, is doing well.

The problem with his urination is being managed. The veterinary originally prescribed three units daily of an anti-inflammatory medicine. It worked well, apparently reducing the mass in Renn’s bladder and, correspondingly, decreasing the desire to wet frequently; the latter was caused by the mass filling the bladder’s interior and making it feel full of urine. Renn would make repeated trips to the litter-box and leave very little or nothing. Leaving nothing was troubling to him because he would then simply sit in the box waiting for urine, that wasn’t there, to flow.

As per the doctor’s instructions, I tried lowering the amount of medicine Renn received daily, or keeping the amount and reducing its frequency (ie. giving it every other day). These attempts were not successful. They led to more trips to the boxes, more tiny lumps left in the litter; never as much as when he received no medicine, but still bothersome for the big boy.

Currently, he is being given three units a day again. The difficulty with this is that it will hurt his kidneys over time, but a shorter, comfortable life is, I think, preferable to a longer uncomfortable life, at least for a cat. I have gone over this argument previously, and so won’t waste space doing so here. Each reader has gone through something similar, so each understands.

The question I have is whether the mass in the bladder reasserts itself effectively each time I reduce the amount or frequency of the anti-inflammatory medicine. It seems unlikely – and cannot be determined without daily or even hourly ultra-sound examinations – so it may be that the mass is caused by, causes, or in some way is related to, cystitis. Previously, Renn’s urine and blood were analysed and found to be surprisingly healthy. Therefore, it is probable that idiopathic (veterinarian for ‘I dunno’) cystitis – connected in some way to the former mass in the bladder – is at fault here. The most that seems practicable is what is being done now – application of the anti-inflammatory – so I have not talked to the veterinary again about this. But I will need to renew Renn’s supply of medicine soon and, though the doctor has considerately left an indefinite prescription for it, I will likely take the opportunity to go over Renn’s situation with her.

For now, however, I am please with my oldster’s health. I can tell that he is not suffering pain from anything; when he had the feeling of needing to urinate, he was restless, clearly in some discomfort. I wish he would eat more but those familiar with Renn’s past know that he has never eaten much; he is simply consuming now an amount commensurate with an older Renn. His gait is a little more uncertain, especially on narrow paths, and he is slower. But these are the signs of age, I’m afraid, an illness for which there is as yet no cure. If my big boy suffers that ailment in reasonable comfort and contentment, all is well.

11 comments:

  1. Hang in there good buddy. I have lots of prayers and good thoughts I am sending your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Renn is holding his own with the meds, John. We all know there's only so much that can be done for any Being, and you certainly are doing all that is possible for him. I think we all know, too, that quality of life is far more important than quantity. I hope Renn will be content to remain with you for quite some time yet. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purrs to that sweet boy, it's not an easy thing to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Renn, Mom and I love you and we want the best possible life that you can have. I have total complete confidence that your Dad will see that it happens for you. As long as you are having a good quality of life, comfort, and love (of course) each day...you will be here for us to continue to love and wish the best for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as Renn is comfortable and seemingly without pain - we all know as pet parents, that is the about the best we can do for our aging pets. I'm glad the anti-inflammatory is doing its job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The important thing is that Renn is comfortable and that the anti-inflammatory medication is keeping his urinary symptoms under control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your two 'oldsters' have the best life with you right now...care and understanding and vigilance as to troubles that can be helped.
    POTP for Renn, and Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad the anti inflammatory is working for Renn. Unfortunately ageing brings so many problems with it, and that means relying on medical intervention to cope with it for man and beast. The important thing is that Renn is happy and pain free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Renn, life has turned him a lot of curve balls. But he certainly does his best and I think he appreciates The Good Life that he's lived with you. I do hope that is for much longer in comfort and with a good appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always a tight-rope walk with our oldsters; if only our love would make everything work out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All any pet-parent can ask for is that they be happy and comfortable...for however long they're with us. That's such a relief that you found a medication that is helping Renn.

    ReplyDelete