Tuesday, December 30, 2025

Once More to the Hospital

Neville’s trip yesterday to the veterinary hospital was eventful. We arrived in plenty of time for the appointment, only to find that there was no appointment. It had been cancelled. Evidently, someone felt that because I was able to bring Nev in on Christmas Eve, I would not want to bring him in on the 29th. They were in error. I wanted to keep that appointment in case the old lion’s condition did not improve, which is exactly what was happening. I can understand why it was thought I may not want to keep the later appointment, but I should still have been consulted.


Even so, the Nevsky was fitted in. The hospital more than made up for their faux pas, since Nev needed quite a few things done and he was there for almost an hour, until after closing time. His regular doctor examined him.


The abscess on Neville’s chin had grown larger over the weekend, partly no doubt to the fact that I stopped giving him his anti-biotics. The abscess was lanced, and a great deal of unpleasant contents came out. Neville was then given an injection of anti-biotics. I refused that option on the 24th, as I thought the oral liquid would be preferable. If it hadn’t made him throw up, it would have been. The trouble with the injection, the medicine from which endures for a fortnight, is that if there is an unwanted side-effect, it cannot be undone. However, the doctor also gave Nev an injection of Cerenia to suppress nausea that might arise from the anti-biotic. I have some of that on hand for possible use later.


The veterinary also looked in Neville’s mouth and could not see any internal cause of the abscess, such as a broken or emerging tooth. My old man has few teeth left, but another abscess was caused a few years ago by a tooth that had not been extracted during a dental surgery. It was determined that his mouth is in good condition, and that a simple scratch - origin unknown - caused an infection.


Neville was also given some fluids, as he was dehydrated.


Once home, his chin’s swelling continued to leak through the evening. This morning, it is still noticeable, but is about four fifths smaller than it was; the lancing and the anti-biotic will hopefully do a number on it. He was given a cone, of course, to prevent scratching, but upon observation throughout the evening, I saw Neville not bother the site once. His main concern was snoozing. This morning, there was no sign that he had been scratching the reduced swelling, so I left the cone off. He may scratch as the site starts to heal, of course, but if he wore the cone, he would find it impossible to climb into a litter-box (even the unhooded ones that he habitually uses) and would likely not be able to eat or drink. It’s a risk, but I think it had to be taken.


That is where my oldster is now. The abscess is greatly reduced and is being attacked by the anti-biotic. He is receiving probiotics to counter the likely renewed softening of his stools. He is still eating and drinking, and making his slow way to the litter-boxes when necessary. I am glad I took him to the veterinary yesterday, and am optimistic about the immediate future.


14 comments:

  1. Neville is definitely a fighter. May the abscess heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope thiz new treet mint stuffz werkz. buddy…eye noe yur tired oh vizitin de vet πŸŸπŸŸπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to Neville. I'm VERY glad they fit him in, as it was their error in cancelling. Healing thoughts and prayers to him, I hope the lancing and meds do the trick. πŸ€žπŸ™❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you got him in and it was lanced and drained. Poor old boy, he puts up with a lot. Precious has been returned to us and now we wait to be sure the treatment works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad he was able to see his usual doctor and the abscess was lanced. That in itself should make him feel better. I hope the antibiotic works well without any nausea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Nevsky is a fighter!
    A passive fighter, but he's got grit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad they worked you in and that hi regular doctor saw him ! Hopefully he will feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update. I'm so glad Neville got to see the vet and the abscess was drained. Since he received the new antibiotic, hopefully he'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor guy. I am glad he is showing improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As awful as the lancing can be, it's best to get all that stuff out if possible. May he heal up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healing purrs for 2026 Mr Neville xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear! I hope Neville feels better soon. It's so tough getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Giovanni needed to wear a cone of shame after his toe was amputated last year. He would NOT tolerate it for anything. So I put a little donut collar on him. He took it off a lot, but it helped protect his foot a little. Maybe try that if Neville starts scratching at his chin? You can find them on Amazon. They are easier for kitties to eat, drink, and sleep with than those big cones. Hoping he heals up quickly!! <3

    ReplyDelete