Sunday, April 12, 2026

The Naming of Kittens

I have been thinking of names for Rhapsody’s kittens since long before they were born. I tend to prefer unusual names; not outlandish, but not common, so they will be unique. And I like the names of cats who come in groups - and there is no group like a litter - to be of a kind, of a theme. Since their mother is Rhapsody, I thought immediately of music. The trouble is that I have used musical names for a number of beasts already, notably the ferals of the small colony that I trapped and had fixed, and now help feed, at my work-place.


But that didn’t stop me from thinking of more musical names. I decided on the kinds of tempo music has. (It would have better if my former foster-cat Tempo (now adopted and re-named) had been the mother in this case, rather than Rho, but, thankfully, Tempo was never pregnant.)


Therefore, I would like to introduce to you the new Tempos, as it were: from top to bottom in the illustration, we have Presto (meaning ‘fast’), because he was first to be born; Vivace ([viv-aw-chee] ‘lively’), whom I believe to be the only girl; Largo (which means ‘slow’; he was the last to be born); Andante ([awn-dawn-tay] the name refers to a walking pace; he was born in the middle, neither in a hurry, nor dawdling), and Allegro (‘happy’).


Fortunately, they all have distinctive colouring and patterns; I feared half a dozen black cats… Instead, we have an orange and white tabby; a semi-diluted tortoiseshell; a light orange tabby; a dilute orange, and a white and dilute orange.


I’m sure their names won’t survive their adoptions, but for now, one might say, the timing is right for these little notes.



15 comments:

  1. Those are lovely names for the kittens, and lucky they are easily distinguishable from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. theez namez R PAWSUM ! we bee singin a long with ewe N... singin unkle john's praizez all sew....♥♥♥♥ =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, such an adorable kitten-pile! You chose their names well, creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Start out the newest band with great names. And see how musical they are when demanding mother's milk! Our nursing squirrel has moved the babes out of the box and not sure how far away she has carried them! Bet they were all grey, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a lovely concept for their names. May their lives be a perfect harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had hoped music names of some kind would be in running. I think you chose just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the names, and it doesn't matter if the kittens are boys or girls - the names are unisex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to name them early, so I went with names that could be used for either gender.

      Delete
  8. That is the cutest variety pack I have ever seen, and not a duplicate in sight! Great name choices too. One hopes they keep their colourings going forwards.
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those musical names! The names of dances such as used in Bach orchestral suites and his solo cello and violin works would have been good names, too, at least I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH I love it. What a grand set of names for beautiful babies!

    ReplyDelete