Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Breath of Life. Or Something.

Cats are always discovering new things. Perhaps it’s because they are not in control of their world, and we humans keep introducing things that, while they may be mundane to us, represent novelty to them. Or perhaps they simply find life more interesting than we do.

Whatever the reason, Cammie has hit upon a new routine. After dark, she may often be found in the bedroom on her old cat-tree, or at the window. It will nearly be time for bed, and I will have just brushed my teeth. The princess has found that after I attend to my oral hygiene, my breath smells intriguing. In truth, it smells slightly mint-like, due to the toothpaste. But it is a new discovery for Cammie.


Upon my entry to the bedroom, she will leap from the cat-tree on to the bed and want to smell me. I breathe in her face - not something I generally do, as I find it impolite and even offensive, but she seems to like it. Two and a half years ago, I wrote an entry for this blog called ‘Onion Loopy’. This described the strange effect the smell of onions has on Cammie. Having inhaled the not unpleasant odour of this vegetable, the princess threw herself on the floor, twisted and turned, rolled and spun. She does the same thing after smelling my breath. Yes, my breath has an effect on Cammie similar to that of onions.

Anyway, now, most evenings, Cammie will hurry up to me and want to smell my breath. I oblige, as it is a small thing, and she appears to enjoy it. And the fact that it reminds her of onions does its bit to keep me humble. Cats really know how to bring a person down to Earth. That, however, is hardly a discovery for me.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like she is enjoying the smell of mint. You ought to try some of the mint herb and see what she does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe in a sense, it reminds her of catmint ? have you, or have you ever had some planted somewhere at some point...boomer sits at the screen window where there's catmint planted and inhales about 7 times every time that window is opened for him ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mint probably does relate to catmint, at least to Cammie's nose.

      Delete
  3. ??? LOL! I'd love to know what is going through her mind. That's too funny. I can honestly say I've never had that reaction from the boys after my nightly oral hygiene ritual! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cammie! She is full of quirks. Is mint related to catnip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of catmint until someone mentioned it in a comment. I'm going to look it up. It may be related, or it may simply be another thing that cats like. But none of my other beasts seem to care about it via toothpaste, just Cammie.

      Delete
    2. I heard spearmint is related to catnip (but then not everything I hear is correct.) I know a cat that cannot resist spearmint tea.

      Delete
    3. Catmint (Nepeta faassenii), Catnip (Nepeta cataria), and Spearmint (Mentha spicata) are all in the family Lamiaceae, or Mint family.

      Delete
    4. The same genus, eh? That's interesting. I will be doing some reading about these plants over my holidays, I think.

      Delete
  5. That is funny, maybe she thinks you were chewing on catnip. I don't know why she would like the onions though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny girl I wonder what she likes about it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My late, beloved Zebby Cat would go crazy for my hands after I'd chopped onion and celery - it had to be both for him to react as if my hands were made from catnip. Current girlcat, Megs, is disinterested in catnip and pulls a face if she thinks my hands are "stinky". Michelle/Mickle in Wellington, NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, celery is something else Cammie likes to smell.

      Delete
  8. I know that whether or not a cat reacts to catnip is hereditary. And I've heard that cats like the smell of onions, (even though onions are toxic to cats.) However, I've never heard of a cat reacting to the mint in toothpaste. Cammie is indeed a special cat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Yes, my breath has an effect on Cammie similar to that of onions."

    AHAH! What a compliment...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cats are attracted to mint. Catnip is part of the mint family so, perhaps, that's why Cammie's attracted. Or it may simply be a ritual she's developed because it signals bedtime to her. Every night, when I get into bed, my Alfie joins me and gives himself a calming bath. (Actually he's doing that now,). Frequently, he'll complete his ablution and then leave.
    'li'll be very curious what you find out about the mint. Kiss beautiful, dear Cammie for us, please.

    ReplyDelete