Monday, August 8, 2016

Closer Yet and Closer

Cammie continues to progress in her relations with me and the other beasts. I’m sure they all progress, but Cammie has had farther to go. She still hisses at her roommates when they come too near, or when she thinks they may. On the weekend, she trotted around a corner and all three of them were lying in the hall (I think they were anticipating dinner). Watching Cammie negotiate that passage was like seeing a soldier walk through a minefield.


But the princess also tolerates her siblings more often than she used, and, though wary of them, permits them to get closer than was the case previously. Having her sit with one other, or more, at the bedroom window says a great deal about how far Cammie has come.


And she is growing closer to me. This Saturday, I returned to bed to have another couple of hours’ sleep after waking at six to give Tucker his insulin injection. Cammie frequently chooses that time to lie on my chest and purr. This takes up another ten or fifteen minutes. Sometimes, she will find me on my stomach, in which case she will walk this way and that over my back. This day, she lie on my neck and groomed the back of my head. Of my other cats, only Tungsten has groomed me, and she too liked to lick my head while I tried to sleep. Those who aren’t cat-people may find this an unhygienic prospect. But to me, it is immensely gratifying.

But it didn’t exactly lull me to sleep…

14 comments:

  1. Watching Cammie round a corner and come upon all three would have been worth a video. Ha.

    As for being groomed by her: sweet. :-)

    How lovely that she's slowly, slowly relaxing and feeling safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a remarkable job with Cammie. A lot of love and patience can do so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone likes to be pushed. Man or beast, we like things to be at our own pace. I wish our human society could be more like that!

      Delete
  3. She has progressed & her trust in you has grown too! I love reading about all your cats but Cammie tugs at my heart. So glad she's come this far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading about my beasts. They have all evolved during their time with me, Cammie especially. But then I have changed with them, too - hopefully for the better!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for giving Cammie such a loving forever home. She truly loves you and considers you as her special companion. Imagine how many people return a cat to shelters because they cannot be patient a cat who needs more time and love. And after all poor Cammie has been through. From Eileen and Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's found her home, and I'm grateful for it.

      Delete
  5. It is heartwarming to hear how well Cammie has progressed and continues to do so. She obviously loves you very much to bestow the special honour of human grooming on you.
    Flynn also likes to lie on me in bed and gets annoyed if I am on my stomach. He will keep pacing until I turn over, then lies with his head pressed against my chin and purring. Unfortunately this only lasts a few minutes before he turns around to sleep and I end up with a face full of his backside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a longtime reader of your blog so I don't know how long Cammie has been with you or what her life was like beforehand. I am gathering from the comments and your own thoughts her life beforehand wasn't good. She too tugs at my heart as Patty says. I grew up with two Siamese. The male loved everybody human or not. The female loved most people and only her brother. When we visited with our cat she would just hiss at him anytime he came near her. Cammie is making great progress in accepting everyone.Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so lovely to see how Cammie is finding peace amongst her fur siblings. My cat Boo who has been with Ping & Jinx her entire life is a solitary cat. SHE does NOT like to have her space invaded and she will flatten her ears and hiss at them for doing so or "touching" her. It's so much like kids. I watch them stalk her just to put a paw on her rump and to get a reaction. I swear if cats could, they would be laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good job Cammie...though the image of her tiptoeing down the hall was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet not! Sami used to occasionally lick my hair but she hasn't done that for some time. I'm okay with that.

    I'm so Cammie is doing so well with you and the other cats. I know I've said it before but thank goodness you arranged to have her brought home from Regina.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how exciting that she has come so far! What an honor that she has chosen to groom you now :) That is one of Ralphie's loving things that he does when he is the happiest too :) back of my neck or my cheek in bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad Cammie is doing well.That is sweet that she licked your head. None of mine do that, but Sammy kneads my hair every night before bed.

    ReplyDelete