Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Cammie of the Sundays

Cammie has a weekend morning routine. It doesn’t occur every Saturday, but usually on Sundays. After I get up at six o’clock to give Tucker his insulin, and to feed the beasts, I go back to bed for a while. About eight-thirty, I feel a cat leap up onto the bed near my head; from her weight and the fact that she is trying to avoid any other cat who may be present, I know that it’s Cammie.

As I generally sleep either on my side or my stomach, the princess will proceed to walk this way and that across my back, purring the whole time. She will pause to lie down, partially on me and partially off, only to start roaming again. At last, I turn onto my back and she comes up to my chest, lying down near my neck, her head about half an inch from my chin. There, she will stay - albeit moving from facing toward the left to facing the right, then back again, several times - while I stroke her head and rub her chin. Periodically, she will bump my face with hers.


This is our principal time together. Cammie will usually brave the boys, who will be at the bottom of the bed, and sometimes even Josie, who may be lying not far away. The princess purrs as if she is enjoying her time but also as if she is fulfilling a quota; I feel as though she may be thinking, “Yes, this is adequate; continue; a bit more…”

Eventually, she will leave, abruptly, though not quite without warning. At some point, her purring will fade, diminishing in strength and volume. When it vanishes completely, she will spring away, often with a croaking statement. It may be a thank-you, or it may simply be a checkmark in the box designated ‘operation completed’.

But, in the end, Cammie would not do this unless she enjoyed it, and wanted to spend a while with me. It takes little time, fifteen minutes or so, possibly twenty. I will sometimes wake half an hour later (Sundays I try to sleep somewhat more than on other days), to find that she has jumped back on the bed, this time satisfied to lie next to me. She may never be a lap-cat or even a cuddler; most of the time, she is guarded and aloof. But she shows in her own way that she likes me, and that we are friends.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds like Brulee. She can be very aloof, but more loving toward me on her terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cammie....we think itz awesum ewe N yur dad haz thiz time two gether...may ewe both haz manee manee manee mor just sew ~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific post! I find it amazing that every cat expresses affection for us in its own unique way. A cat doesn't have to be a cuddler or a lap cat to show us they love us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think too many people, when looking for a cat to adopt, look for the sterotype. I don't have a real lap-cat anymore, but there is no doubt as to how mine feel about me.

      Delete
  4. What a special, precious time together. I would say she's showing you, as best she can, that she loves you in her own way. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cammie certainly is affectionate. Yes, maybe on her terms but she clearly enjoys being with you. She likely sees this time as special as she has you all to herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time you share a story of Cammie's progress, I can't help but think back to the time when she was away from you, and it reminds me how glad I am she came home.

    Good to hear that Tucker is doing better. We cat parents do worry so it's great when the injury is minor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about Cammie's mercifully short-lived adoption, too. It was the luckiest of chances that she was able to return to me. I knew after that that I probably wouldn't be letting her go, but I never guessed how well she would adapt to living here, and how well I would adapt to her.

      Delete
  7. It is obvious that Cammie enjoys her special time with you. Flynn also does this and will walk backwards and forwards over me until I turn onto my back. Then he likes to lie on my chest giving me headbutts and purrs. This only last a few minutes before he turns around and I get his backside shoved in my face. Then he goes to sleep. Luckily he is not a windy cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I laughed at that one. Flynn would probably be offended if you mentioned it to him.

      Delete
  8. Cammie is filled with love for you and she enjoys showing you how much. You are the most important thing in her world and she wants you to know it. Lovely, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is sweet that Cammie likes to visit you in the morning. They all have different ways to show they care.

    ReplyDelete