Thursday, August 4, 2016

Knowing Me, Knowing You, Uh-huh

Firstly, I want to thank readers for the suggestions they made regarding my ant problem. I have already implemented a couple of the solutions. It may be difficult to determine if they are working, as the ants were never present every day, and may invade only for the release of the colonists, and then retreat again. But whatever keeps the invaders out of my home is a success.

Today’s musings are related to yesterday’s, regarding communication between man and cat. Angel Abbygrace, in her response, observed that cats and their owners may develop their own language, a means of communicating that only the two of them comprehend. I can believe that. The point corresponds to what I had already been thinking about, after an incident on the weekend.


Tucker likes to sit at the dining table with me while I write. He snoozes and I scribble away. He also likes to sit there while I eat a meal, but that may have to do with another set of factors. Anyway, recently, he was lying on a cushioned chair, gathering some rest, when he dropped to the floor. I immediately realised something was amiss.


How did I know? It may have been that he remained where he landed for a few seconds, though I was aware of something wrong right away. I also suspected that it was not serious. I watched as the roly poly one trundled into the sitting room. The way he hunched himself was a second clue. I guessed what was coming.

I stood behind Tucker and, as I anticipated, he started to heave. I was able to get him off the rugs and onto linoleum before he vomited. It was not a serious episode, just the usual product of a sensitive stomach. Tucker sometimes does this after eating - though he doesn’t do it often, thank goodness - but once in a while it occurs for no discernible reason. Less than a minute later, the sausage-shaped cat was back on his chair, ready to resume his interrupted snooze.


We come to know our pets so well that even a small behaviour, if it is abnormal, can register with us, and alert us to something that is different. The action need not be a bad one: Josie will slap her rat-tail in the manner of a cat who is annoyed - others have pointed out when they thought she was angry - and yet this does not mean the same in my Chubs as in other felines. She will flick her tail while she is purring and clearly enjoying a chin-rub.

It’s all part of living with something vital to your life, the way a farmer can read a sky for weather, or a general a battlefield. Cat-fanciers’ expertise is in knowing their own cats. And I am certain my own cats know me in a similar fashion. It is intimate knowledge, that which comes with constant interaction, attention, careful consideration…and maybe a little affection. It is part of living with friends.

19 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating that cats don't meow at each other, it is a totally human interaction and they have found different tones and sounds to let us know what they are thinking and feeling. True we don't 'speak' the same language but we understand one another. I am sure for the cats a lot of it is body language because that is something they must be adept at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that they do verbalise to us and not to each other. I wonder what the zoological / biological reason is...

      Delete
  2. It is so true, we get to know our pets little ways. Sam was just like your Tucker when she was about to be sick! Why do they always seem to run right to carpeting instead of some sort of hard flooring? Oh well, I am sure we wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do truly understand the language of our beloved kitties. I know my Joanie whaps her tail a lot when sitting on me, but she is happy. Her brother whaps his when annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that last picture!!! people ask mom all the time about cats and behavior and introductions. mom says it is all about knowing YOUR cats and what to expect. Mo likes to give what we call the "tail of disrespect" whereby he flicks the lower half around like he is swearing at her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cammie actually swears - no need to interpret body language!

      Delete
  5. Very well written and well put. My problem is that I watch the cats through my filter of paranoia, so any little deviation can mean they're in danger of imminent death, especially if I'm too tired, too hormonal crazy, too whatever to be entirely rational. Sometimes they just can have an "off" day and be fine otherwise, and *often* I anthropomorphize (spelling).

    Same-species communication is challenging enough; inter-species communication takes it to another level entirely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us pet-owners find it easier to communicate with our animals than with other people!

      Delete
  6. dood !!! sorree ya had a time of it ther fora bit but we R glad yur doin all rite....

    if we may....we noe what yur sayin in fotoz.. one... N we will post it heer... aza ....subtle hint ;)

    "hay dad.....yea...ewe dood...when ya gonna get me a bigger perch " ..... ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're correct, John. I'm sure we all know our cats well enough that we can pick up subtle changes in their behavior that indicate something is wrong. Years ago I called my vet because Jeremy had been drinking excessive amounts of water. Whoever answered the phone obviously was either new to the office or just didn't know me. (However, I'm sure they know me now!) I was told Jeremy's increased thirst was due to the dry food he was eating. I told her in no uncertain terms that something was wrong and demanded appointment for the next day. When I brought Jeremy to the vet the next day, his blood sugar was over 600, (33.3mmol/L), and he was diagnosed with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing my Tungsten's appetite is how I realised something was wrong with her, and it led to her diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. We become experts in our field, and our field is our pets.

      Delete
  8. Well said John. I know I've had moments of clear communication with my cats. And when I'm upset they know it and understand whether I need their company or if they ought to stay clear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am getting to know my Holly and her ways of communicating to me. I knew my Jessica so well and felt we could communicate with each other. I do think people and their cat companions grow to share a language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right, we get to know our cats so well, although Flynn leaves me in no doubt when he is going to be sick. He gives a loud yowl which gives me time to get some kitchen roll to catch whatever comes up, usually nothing worse than grass. If he is sick without yowling, I know he will be having one of his bad days which can actually last for 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie gives a warbling yowl sometimes before she ups the chuck. I hope if Flynn has to be sick from now on, it comes after some yowling.

      Delete
  11. You are so very right! I think it is easier by far with the boys than with the girls too by the way :) LOVE the photos of Tucker today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Photos of Tucker. His tummy shot is calendar worthy.
    The wonderful vet where I used to live was always so supportive of owners knowing their pets best. If I called his office and said my cat was not himself but couldn't verbalized exactly why I felt this way, they would always ask if I wanted to bring the cat in. He treated all of his animal clients with the thoroughness and attention to detail we humans would want for ourselves. Stellar practice, I miss it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare to find a veterinary like that. Too many assume that pet-owners know little. 'Inside knowledge' of an animal counts for much.

      Delete
  13. I haven't found a really good vet yet, Especially one who is cat oriented. I love that comment above about Tucker's photo being calendar worthy.

    ReplyDelete