Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Don't You Love the New Me?

The new Parker is really just an evolution of the old. He is still having a bit of an issue with Tucker, who distrusts him, and with the other cats, to a lesser extent. I’ve noticed that they can easily put him in his place if they stand their ground, but if they run, he chases them. I suspect that’s because the orange boy isn’t really aggressive but, as is the way with cats, one moment’s behaviour can quickly change into something else, and a chase can become a fight. For the most part, however, Parker and the perma-cats are doing very well.


But what I wanted to highlight today was Parker’s new trick. He has learned how to open the freezer compartment in my refrigerator.

I was sitting in the bedroom talking to Josie when I heard two large, dull bangs. I thought someone had dropped an object against the outside of the front door. When I went to investigate, I heard a motor running, lowly, and saw the freezer door open. I immediately connected it with Parker, who has been up on the cupboards lately, looking for the hard-food bowl. (I no longer keep it there when it’s not in use, for that reason.) When he heard me coming, he jumped down.


I realise that he was looking for food. When he didn’t find the hard-food up on the cupboards, he probably remembered seeing plenty of good eats in the refrigerator every time I opened it. So he thought he would raid the ice-box. To him, the freezer compartment and the main cooling compartment are one and the same, and I give that active brain of his credit for figuring out how to get in at the treats. How he would have lifted anything he found there, while lying on top of the refrigerator, I don’t know. I’m sure he would have found a way.


I know that the chances of anything happening to Parker by opening the freezer are slim, but I don’t fancy finding a frozen orange cat when I go to remove vegetables from the freezer one day. So I discourage the fellow in this sort of adventure. I try to give him more toys; for instance, I have added a fuzzy ball to the Track-ball; he can grab the furry orb, and it gives a kind of croquet action to the game, one ball hitting the other. Parker seems amused by this innovation.

But I still expect to discover him on the cupboards from time to time. After all, you can’t keep a new cat down.

20 comments:

  1. Nope, wouldn't like a orange cat popsicle! Around here, if one cat runs...they all RUN! Better safe than sorry, I'm guessing. Part of that 'chasing the prey' drive. Parker is really adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed by the things cats can do, even without opposable thumbs. Well, now that Parker can open the freezer, have you thought about teaching him how to prepare dinner? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh. A prepared dinner would be nice to come home to, especially if Parker were wearing a little chef's hat when I arrived.

      Delete
  3. Ha, way to go, Parker! (Says Nicki.) Very clever. If duct tape will stick on your freezer, and hold, you can always try that, never mind how ugly that would look. When Nicki was younger he'd open the freezer door (top compartment of my standard fridge) and I'd sometimes come home to find it ajar. Yay. Not. I think I tried duct tape, but I can't recall if it held. That was a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki and Parker seemed to share a similar sense of mischief - or a similar sense of where food is...

      Delete
  4. bungee cords.... :) bless him for doing the math right to figure out the fridge though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately they never seem as interested in closing, only opening. I had a pet skunk for a number of years. Powerful little animal. In the end my husband had to put a hook-and-eye on door and frame to ensure it could be opened only by those of us with opposable thumbs. Just sayin' . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a pet skunk, I can imagine it was a chore not to annoy or scare him...

      Delete
  6. dood....we dont noe if we shuld keep laffin; ore bee sayin total lee awesum lee grate trix buddy; ore bee sayin....whoa, watch out dood; knot all stuff in de freezer iz de good stuff { vegeez } uze caushun ~~~~

    oh, N bye de way, de catfather haz ta knot trust noe one...itz de law oh de familee ~~~~~~ knot yur fault ♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you guys understand about the Catfather...

      Delete
  7. How extraordinary! Is there any chance Parker could actually get trapped in the freezer compartment? Too frightening a thought.

    It's the same way at our house too. When one cat runs, the other runs after him and a few cats that had nothing to do with the situation join in the chase, just for fun. I suppose it's just the way of cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parker would have to be much more dextrous than he is - or than I think he is - to trap himself. But he only has the chance while I am home and awake anyway, so I watch out for him. Don't think I haven't thought of the possibility, though!

      Delete
  8. Oh my Parker, please don't give our Annabelle any ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parker is certainly an intelligent cat. What a clever boy. Cats never cease to amaze me. Good thing he has not (yet) learnt how to open the main fridge door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is indeed a smart fellow. I have to keep an eye on him.

      Delete
  10. He IS a smart boy! Someone who makes him a member of their family will be pleasantly surprised at all he has learned and all he will learn. Love that boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Parker is very smart! That's a trick none of my cats over the years have even thought of, though Silas learned to open the cabinet doors to find the kibble bowls I had hidden there.

    He's definitely making life interesting...and fun!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete