Monday, September 4, 2017

Recovery and Relief



Another long weekend, another crisis for Cammie. Fortunately, like the others, the path through this one appears to be clearing. We are not out of the woods yet, but we are heading in the right direction.

There was a very small amount of vomit on the sitting room rugs this morning, which I attribute to Cammie, but it was a mere burp compared to what had gone before. The princess is eating on her own, though it is not enough for my liking, and I continue to supplement her diet with Recovery-and-water, given by syringe. Oddly, her choice is for the hard-food, rather than the soft, of which she is eating only a little bit of what is offered. I have given her another portion of a Cerenia pill, the effects of which should last until tomorrow, when I will have the option of giving her another. I likely will, but I want to consult with my regular veterinaries first. (As an aside, I have learned that, so far, Cammie is not difficult when taking a pill; she doesn’t like the notion, but, as with much of her behaviour, her respeonses to receiving medicine are largely bluster.)

As suggested by some insightful readers of this blog, I will make sure that Cammie’s regular doctors see the x-ray taken at the emergency clinic on Sunday. I also want to talk to them about irritable bowel syndrome. I know nothing about that condition, and had not considered it as a cause of the princess’s troubles. I am willing to look at all possibilities.

In the meantime, I have learned of new weapons in the fight against Cammie’s reactions to what I will continue for now to assume to be an allergic reaction. An ant-acid was given yesterday, along with the Cerenia. The latter drug, in pill form, might have to be given for several days following an injection, and so I will always ask for some pills along with the injection, in future. I will also bring home some subcutaneous fluids, if Cammie needs to visit the doctor again.

For now, I can tell that my little Siamese is feeling better. Not only does she want food, however small the amount, but her behaviour in general is more satisfactory, more indicative of recovery. I will report on any progress made, especially anything new that the doctor may tell me. But for now, I will leave those reading this with my thanks for their help and good wishes.

17 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that Cammie appears to be on the road to recovery. Linda, Pepper, and Dublin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's a relief to read that Cammie is starting to feel better.

    Here's a link to feline IBD on Cornell's site:

    http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_ibd.cfm

    Copying and pasting:

    "Feline inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is not a single disease, but rather a group of chronic gastrointestinal disorders caused by an infiltration of inflammatory cells into the walls of a cat’s gastrointestinal tract. The infiltration of cells thickens the wall of the gastrointestinal tract and disrupts the intestine’s ability to function properly.

    "Chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract can occur as a result of a specific disease, such as a parasitic or bacterial infection or a specific food allergy. However, the cause of IBD in many cases is considered to be 'idiopathic' or unknown."

    Definitely discuss this with your regular vet. I would think you're doing everything you can regardless of the cause, though.

    Best of luck and continued purrs and Light to Cammie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo what Kim said. I am grateful she mentioned IBD. It did not occur to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that Cammie is improving. I will continue to pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so relieved to hear that Cammie has turned a corner and she is feeling better. I too think you are doing everything you can to help and I certainly hope for Cammie to make a full and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that Cammie is feeling better. What a relief! I think Kia's idea to discuss IBD with your vet is a good one. It's also a good idea to have your vet take a look at the X-rays that Cammie had taken at the emergency clinic. (It never hurts to get a second opinion, after all!) Meanwhile, check out Cornell's website. It's very informative. Will you be taking Cammie to your vet in the near future? If so, please let us know her findings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although it was never officially diagnosed for Chuck, when we started treating him as if he had IBD, he improved! Here's hoping that the progress made with Cammie this weekend continues to move forward. And remember...you didn't do anything wrong. Try to take away those feelings, because Cammie needs you to focus on her, not to sit in the dark berating yourself. I've done (and do, sometimes) the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's hope Cammie continues on the path to recovery and gets well soon. I too, had not heard about IBS in cats but it makes sense given Cammie's symptoms and her allergies. I hope your vet can get to the bottom of what is ailing poor Cammie. Get well soon, Cammie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cammie; my stars; we've been offline for several days; we are truly sorry to learn you weren't much improved though we hope by today; you are.

    please have your dad check out this site if he has a moment; we knew this family back in the catster days; and while Lisa is NOT a vet and lets one know upfront; the amount of information she has gleaned on her website over the past several years is true and invaluable. they are also on facebook

    http://www.ibdkitties.net/

    https://www.facebook.com/IBDKitties-Fan-Page-243029879128342/

    I hope I copied the facebook link correctly; we aren't on
    facebook

    hugs from dai$y and tuna ~~ ♥♥

    ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very glad that Cammie is improving, and hope she continues to do so.
    It is strange, but when Flynn had his very bad episodes he only wanted hard food too. Other times he didn't particularly care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Answered prayers! Noting a positive change in affect is a very encouraging sign as is, of course, the interest in food. Another thought as to what is going on with Cammie is triaditis wihich is a cluster disease of which one of the components is IBD This also involves bouts of pancreatitis, something Cammie may have suffered previously. Catster has a good , short article on triaditis and if Cammie's symptoms or some of the symptoms fit, you can read more scholarly articles on It.
    Please give her our love and kiss her for us.


    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigh of relief. I know she's not out of the woods yet, but it's reassuring to know she's eating. Healing wishes to Cammie and hope you can now relax a little.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm so happy that Cammie feels better now! Try to make an USG test, one of my cat had similar symptoms and it turned out, that he has IBD :( We had a lot of problems because of this since he appeared in our lives, but now when we know what are we fighting with, believe me - it's easier now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sorry we missed it but glad she is feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so relieved to learn that Cammie's health is improving. It is such a worry when such a lovely companion is not well and requires the tests of elimination to see what the cause is and then adjust meds for a happy future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is such a worry when a wonderful cat is unwell and the underlying cause is unclear. I do hope she will have a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The nice thing about being so far behind in my blog reading is I get to come in at the end and I don't have to worry about her in real time as you did... While I am sorry I was not around to send purrs to you both during the stressful time, I am glad she is feeling better. Retroactive purrs for you both

    ReplyDelete