Friday, September 8, 2017

Settling In

Echo is settling in well. She is much more relaxed than she was yesterday. This morning she lie very still on my lap and closed her eyes for several minutes while I stroked her side. How thin she is reminds me of Tungsten. Just fur and bones; but we’re working on that.

She is undoubtedly bored, confined to the bathroom, but I am starting to let her into the rest of the apartment. Last night, not wanting a repeat of the shower problems, I put her in the library during my ablutions; Parker was out among the other cats, as he usually is these days. Initially, Echo was excited in the library, but when I left her alone, she panicked a bit. But by the time I had finished my shower and come back to see her, she had discovered the window and was looking out. I will allow her access to the library and bedroom over the weekend, while the other beasts are kept out.

Echo goes to the veterinary on Tuesday, the twelfth. I foresee no health issues for the little creature. I want to ask about cutting her claws, though; there is no reason not to get her used to that early in life, but I need to know if there are differences between cutting a kittens’ claws and an adult cats’, other than that the kitten has rapiers while her older cousins have sabres. If all goes well at the doctor’s examination, Echo will be periodically released from solitary confinement and gradually integrated into the general prison population. So far, the only cat who has taken much interest in the newcomer has been Cammie, who has been hissing at her through closed doors.

I inadvertently startled Echo when, while I was brushing my teeth, she plunged her claws into my leg. The resultant yell caused the little one’s tail to poof and her back to arch. Her amber eyes grew large and she instantly stopped purring. But all was good again when I picked her up and apologised. Her motor started once more and she flipped over in my hand for some chest rubs.

I continue to try to take photographs of her but anything new attracts her attention, and she immediately advances on the camera. I have to catch her unawares to record her image. As she grows more accustomed to her new life, that too will change, I expect. There is much awaiting this tiny Echo, and she seems impatient to see it all.

12 comments:

  1. toenails are the same in kittens as adults - just snip off the pointy parts and don't go too deep. mom starts the kittens early here...those things are SHARP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for an update!

    It would seem she will be settling in for quite some time to come, no change in "foster" home in the near future. (Or is this already a "foster fail"?) Fingers crossed all goes well with her vet visit next week; N & D send purrs to her. Give her a kiss and a cuddle from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admit it, she HAS chosen YOU as her Daddy. She needs you as much as your beloved older kitties do. Don't traumatize her again by giving her away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. echo...ah yes....de diz coveree oh everee thing N any thing....ta bee a wee kitten again !!! N cammie; we R glad ta heer ya haz yur cat a tood bak....we hope thiz meenz yur feelin way better ~~~~~~~ happee week end all ~~~~ ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echo sounds terrific, and watching a kitten discover things is such fun. You can cut a kitten's claws using a pet nail trimmer, just as you would cut the claws of an adult cat, John. I've noticed that a kitten's nails seem to grow faster than those of an adult cat, (and they can be just as sharp, as you've noticed!) You're quite correct to want to start nail trimming with Echo early. It will make the procedure easier to do in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are they dealing with the smoke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to be bothering them, but who can say what their opinions are?

      Delete
  7. She's so precious! Good or bad, we'd love to see more photos of her. Isn't it lovely to see a bit of orange about the house again. It breaks my heart to think that such a wee kitten could already have a painful past. Once she fully realizes there is only happy days ahead her startle reflex will subside.
    Hopefully a quick integration into the family will be possible. It seems that longer closed door segregation just increases the anxiety of the older cats.
    You know, we somehow get a sense of your joy and happines when you write about Echo, I still think she was Tungsten's gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am charmed off my office chair this early morning seeing her and reading about her progress and learning of those kitten claws made from sharpened steel! She will be out with the others in no time. Now...they may wish to get her up to speed on household manners however. Please give her at least 10 kisses for me and gentle holding up under your neck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your apartment - at least the library and bedroom - is a big wide world full of adventure for such a little kitty. It seems like she is settling on beautifully. I hope all goes well at her vet visit on Tuesday. Holly had her annual check up last week - she is in good health except for her teeth. Like Parker, she will be going back for teeth cleaning. Give little Echo a pat from me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Echo is such a little treasure. I know you were not prepared to have a kitten, but I can't help hoping she will stay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweetie! She makes me smile - like others I wonder if she isn't a gift from Tungsten and meant to stay. Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete