Thursday, December 20, 2018

My Royal Pain

With all the concern over Raleigh and Parker and Tucker recently, I haven’t been able to write much about my other three. (One, two, three…plus three… Yes, that’s right. I have six now…) Today, it’s Cammie’s turn.

The princess is having a hard time reconciling herself to yet another cat in the increasingly cosy apartment. She does not like Raleigh. She will hiss and growl very fiercely at him, even if he is merely sitting across the room. And Heaven forbid if she has to walk within a few yards of him to get from one place to another. Anyone not familiar with my little Siamese roommate would think that blood is about to be spilled in copious quantities.


Then again, when Raleigh jumps onto the bed and Cammie is already comfy on the pillows, she doesn’t make much of a fuss. Perhaps she figures a show of extreme displeasure isn’t worth the disruption. In any case, her dislike of Peachy can be a bit selective.


I do regret the effects of the crowd on my princess. She deserves a little palace to herself. But she is coping well enough. Even when she is exuberant in her denunciations of Raleigh - and any other cat raising her ire at the time - she doesn’t seem to blame me for the situation, and we remain friends. She often lies on my neck while I am in bed, and I am slowly growing accustomed to sleeping with this extra burden. Such a weight in such a position can ache after a while but I put up with it. She purrs the whole time. Besides, Cammie is simply showing me that if she can cope with five big pains in the neck, I can cope with a single little one.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sure the Princess would be quite happy as an only cat, but she's adjusted pretty well, I think.

    I realize the apartment isn't exactly huge, but can you add an extra vertical space? Any platforms to the walls or a window perch? Just a thought, though I realize there are restrictions in apartment living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though Cammie might be happy being an "only child", her love for you is quite evident. She enjoys being with you, so what's a little pain in the neck? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if most female cats would object to sharing a house full of boys--even neutered ones. My Kate is just the same way. She HATES her cat roommates--especially poor Ernie, whom she bullies unmercifully. It's very painful to see, but I have no idea what to do about it. Especially since I didn't *choose* to take in any of them--they chose me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Josie does all right. She hasn't hissed at Raleigh - or the other boys - much at all. There is sometimes a short whapping session, usually over food or the nylon tunnel. I think it's the individual cat.

      I suppose you've tried the Feliway appriach and calming collars? I've not had luck with them, but I know others swear by them.

      Delete
    2. I did try those. The cats all laughed at my naïveté.

      Delete
  4. I go through the throat/neck thing, but I have asked her to move a bit as 14 pounds is too much to breathe well. :-) She takes persuading, that is certain. Cammie, you will hopefully become inured. Poor Raleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww bless you for putting up with the princess neck snuggle. I am sure that miss pops would be the same type of princess if I brought home brothers and sisters for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Raleigh, he must wonder what he has done to upset the princess! She probably lies on your neck to let you know that you are hers, and more importantly, to make sure the boys know too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, maybe she needs more space. Or maybe she needs to get used to the situation?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand totally since I have my own princess to contend with. Is Raleigh troubled by Cammie's attitude? I hope not since he's been thru so much already.
    That's funny about the pain in the neck! Love your sense of humor but I'm sure it's needed with six cats! If I take in another stray, my husband will surely pull out what remaining hair he has!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will always be Cammie's special one and next to only herself in her hiearchy of cozy apartment inhabitants. As long as she has you and your neck to lie on she will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would expect nothing less from your Siamese princess Cammie! I suspect she is merely reminding the interloper that you were hers first.

    ReplyDelete