Monday, December 3, 2018

The New Restaurant



My little shelter for the outsider-cats’ food-bowl collapsed a while ago. Inclement weather took its toll on what was in fact a stiffened nylon shopping bag. As we were having very little precipitation at the time, it was not a worry to me. But with the latter half of autumn came snow. There hasn’t been a great deal of it – yet – but there has been enough to cover the food I have been leaving out for the visitors. The food, hidden by cold, white flakes, might not tempt cats, and, of course, it would become wet and unappetizing. I therefore decided to provide another shelter for the bowl.

Confiding my plans to a neighbour, who also has cats, I was surprised a couple of days later by her generous gift of a plastic storage bin. Her intention was that I would use it to create a shelter, cutting out one side of the container for the animals’ access. I followed through with this plan and placed the new shelter next to the tube-house of Hotel Cosy.


As may be seen, my cutting skills are not the straightest. However, unless there is rain or snow blowing directly into the opening, the food-bowl is likely to remain dry. (It appears from the photograph that I needed to re-charge the contents.)


I decided to rename my little feeding station. Hitherto, it had been called Café Cosy, but I never liked the title. Though it implied its association with the hotel next to it, the little restaurant was never that cosy. While it is a bit more so now, I determined on the new name of Café Cavé. This serves the double purpose of illustrating the interior of the eatery, and indulging my eye-rolling fondness for puns.

Though the undinted snow that recently fell would have announced to me the arrival of the new restaurant’s first patrons, I thought it might also deter custom. With Tucker looking on, I swept the ditch clear enough of snow to make the path inviting.


I am pleased to write that Café Cavé has already had numerous visitors, including my loyal diners Sable and Sablette. The first time I saw them come to check out the new décor, Sable came by herself. She spent a couple of minutes eating and then disappeared. Half an hour later, she came back, with Sablette. They had a lengthy repast, and evidently liked both the ambience and the fare, for they have returned several times.

The predictions for winter in our part of the country are conflicting, some sources forecasting a hard, cold, though not long, winter, while others state that the season will be a mild one. Whatever the weather, I am relieved to have found a satisfactory way of protecting the outsider-cats’ food. They have enough with which to contend; they don’t need wet and frozen meals to add to their hardships. As long as there are customers, Café Cavé will be open – but not to the elements.

10 comments:

  1. That was kind of your neighbour. The storage bin makes an excellent Café Cavé, and I do like that name for it. I am sure you will get more customers throughout the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have quite the setup there now. Cats needing comforts will be warmed and fed. We like the Cafe Cave..just don't know how to pawtype the accent stuff. Cheers! - Tom x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is terrific, you have a great set up for them. We're glad the improved food station is already in use. :-)

    BTW, it was very kind of your neighbour to donate the bin to the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for doing that. I love that the patrons are aware of the hotel and cafe which is at their service. I would like to see them there sometime when they are not inconvenienced. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful John! I love the fact your cats can see the cafe patrons as well. And the name is purrfect!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Lovely setup! Nice to know that Sable and her friend are still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Color me green with envy; that's a terrific feeding station! If you build it, they will come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great set up and we are thrilled your neighbor wanted to help

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cafe Cave looks terrific, and I'm so glad that Sable and Sablette have returned. I think that once word gets around in the "feral cat community", you'll have quite a few visitors. God bless you for caring about the outdoor cats, John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is nice. I am glad it is already getting customers.

    ReplyDelete