Saturday, November 18, 2023

Ready To Go

Chiff’s surgery went without a problem. She returned wearing a cone, as the staff of the hospital believed she was licking her wound. I removed the cone and closely observed her (and I mean I lie on the floor a few inches from her and watched while she groomed herself.) It was clear that she was attempting to remove the hospital smell from her body. She concentrated on the base of her tail; I’ve seen numerous cats do that after an operation, and I wonder if the anal glands collect scent, as well as disburse it. In any case, she licked everywhere, only incidentally touching her incision. She groomed herself less and less through the evening, never putting much thought into the site of her cut.

She had a good late dinner, and then needed to get back into the swing of things. She played much of the evening: wrestling with a toy, chasing and being chased by her roommates, kicking her brother in the stomach while her brother was trying to swallow her head. The usual.

I of course tried to restrict her activities but attempting that with a five month old kitten is an impossibility. After a playful evening, and a semi-restful night, her incision still looks good. The only trouble that I’ve witnessed was Aurora’s growls at Chiff when she first returned. Those vanished during the fun of the later hours.

Thank you to all our readers for their kind thoughts about the little one. She is almost recovered already, and prepared for whatever life has to give her.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that everything went well with Chiff's surgery. I always find amusing that after surgery, the vet recommends that you limit the cat's activity. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting to hear that she did well and am glad that is the outcome. I remember with Seney waiting just a couple weeks too long to have her spayed, and oh boy, did she turn into a vixen on the want even though there were no male cats around. Hope the stitches heal just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad the operation went well, and also that Aurora's growls were limited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very glad all went well! Obviously she is untroubled by her "ordeal."

    I have to state that this just cracked me up: "...kicking her brother in the stomach while her brother was trying to swallow her head. The usual."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray, we're so happy all is well. They are both so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is great news! And if she could kick her brother in the stomach and he wanted to swallow her head...she must have succeeded getting the hospital smell off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everytime the vet told me to keep the kitten from jumping or climbing after a spay or neuter surgery, I always suggested they come home with me. It seems even as young kittens they know their limits...Miss Chiff apparently has none.
    My daughter's two older cats growled at the youngest when she came home from her spay surgery - I think they, like Aurora take exception to the vet smell.
    Glad she is healing quickly and ready to go!

    ReplyDelete