Friday, November 10, 2023

The Tail of an Older Brother

I am surprised at how tolerant Brazil is with the younger cats. He will play with them and, when I use a string-toy on them, Shimmer patiently waits for it to come to him, while Aurora, Theodore and Chiff (especially the last) barge into each other trying to wrest control of the toy from rivals. He will lie still while Chiff stumps and pushes her way into a comfortable position next to him - or on top of him - in the cylinder-house cat-tree. And he will allow them to play with his tail.


That long, slender tail of his is the object of three active kittens, almost always at meal-times, when it waves about as Brazil eagerly awaits his food. Chiff often grasps my lower legs as I am preparing the cats’ fare - a startling action before I cut her claws - and I thought previously that it was due to her impatience. She was, in fact, trying to seize her foster-brother’s tail, which is more easily done against a solid background (eg. my legs) than against the air. Aurora will try to pull the tail as it passes by a chair she is on. Theodore likes to pounce on it.


Through all the shenanigans, Brazil maintains his equanimity. He seems to have an affinity for the youngsters, and certainly indulges in fun with them himself. If he is fulfilling the rôle of older brother, then he is the sort who doesn’t mind babysitting his siblings, even if they are of the annoying sort.


9 comments:

  1. Brazil has really opened up coming back to the Cosy Apartment to baby sit and play big brother to the 3 youngsters. Hope Imogen is Okay living on top of the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brazil is a great older brother (or uncle, if you prefer). He will be a terrific help with any future young fosters. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just makes me so happy. I feel as though I had won the lottery reading this wonderful and fun news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the previous comment, and I agree. It seems Brazil will be a great asset in socializing the younger kittens who come into your care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brazil has really come on in leaps and bounds and seems to have found his place in the Cosy Apartment as a mentor to the youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The above comments are quite correct. It appears that Brazil has claimed the job of assistant kitten socializer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, he's going to be an excellent role model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw. I love hearing that Brazil has blossomed into such a good older brother.

    ReplyDelete