Sunday, April 21, 2024

This Is Where I Came In

Well, another movie-night brought a surprise, as Jackie from Memories of Eric and Flynn thought it might. I was watching the film, with Iago above me on the carpet-topped bookcase. After about half an hour, he descended and, with a little coaxing, came over and lie on my lap. I petted him and he purred for about twenty minutes. That was longer than he has done so far.

I think that Iago wants a human to be close to, and is willing to forgive some ordeals to have it. Nonetheless, he hissed at me this morning when I entered the library and caught him out in the open. I believe he is a cat who needs to choose when and where he lets his guard down. This may change as he grows accustomed to me. For the time being, I am pleased that he decided to give movie-night another chance.

As well, I was able to observe that my plan with the big carrier will require refinement. Though Iago had already had something to eat at snack-time when the movie started, I put some treats in the back of the carrier and left it open. I think he smelled them from five feet away. Anyway, he went to find them. Even though they were as far back in the carrier as they could be, Iago’s tail protruded quite a bit out the door. I was counting on him being entirely in the carrier, and simply shutting the door on him. There’s a chance that I could close it gently on his tail, forcing him to turn, and then shutting it completely in that moment. But, as readers may imagine, anything might happen then: he might scratch at my hand closing the door, he might force the door open with his weight before I can secure it, I might accidentally shut it too hard on his tail… All of this while another veterinary appointment is pending.

So while the plan remains in place, it will need adjustment. The important thing is gaining his trust, and that took a great step forward last night.

13 comments:

  1. it will take a bit dood ta knot feel scared...eye noe and understand

    sendin best fizhez and wizhez ewe due knot knead TWO get in de
    carrier bee coz ya ...hafta two....de gurl uzed ta leeve de carrier out
    for dude 24/7/365/366 and him could come and goez az pleezed ?? ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your new plan is beginning to work. However, the important thing is that it appears that Iago has forgiven you. It will take time, but I'm sure he eventually will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very glad to read this update. He obviously likes your choice of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that was a wonderful step in the right direction. I know you'll give him plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iago, I see you lounging on the bottom shelf! Hope next time you put a treat in the carrier, he goes farther in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things seem to be moving in the right direction which is a plus, somethings can 't be rushed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is unexpected great news!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Bless him..! :)x
    Oh! You did'nt say if he enjoyed the film John..! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Small steps bring rewards. But sometimes, I guess bigger, braver steps which carry great risk and possible upset, may be needed. I'm sure you'll manage ok, and the situation will present itself soon enough.
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, Iago is a Richard Basehart fan? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm relieved to hear you're making progress with Iago. It concerned me when you said in your last post that he seemed to dislike you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good news to hear that Iago is gaining some trust. I do agree, that it will take more time to make him comfortable enough to get him in the carrier. I suspect, he'd lose that trust pretty quickly if you were to rush him.

    ReplyDelete