Monday, April 22, 2024

Wake Myself With Laughing


Dreams are odd worlds, similar to our own in many cases, yet different.


I dreamed on the weekend of two of my cats, both orange, and both lost. In my dream, Tungsten, my first cat, and Brazil, one of my latest, missing from the Cosy Apartment. The building in which we lived was, in my dream, the same one we inhabit in the waking world, but it was rather different - as is often the case in dreams. I searched for the cats through all the corridors - there seemed to be more storeys to the building than in reality - and someone brought Tungsten to me in a zipped-up nylon bag. She was well and unhurt.


I continued to hunt for Brazil, but the scene shifted to a very crowded hospital, with large numbers of doctors, nurses and patients thronging the corridors, and I recall thinking in the dream that I would never find Shimmer there. I woke with him still lost.


I cannot fathom what this all meant, except perhaps an anxiety over losing the cats. But why Tungsten and Brazil were chosen as subjects, I do not know. The hospital might be a version of a veterinary clinic, which  terrifies Brazil so much. Other than that, I see no analogy.


My dreams always seem to constitute stories that are relatively logical, at least until I ponder them from the vantage point of consciousness. They are usually adventurous, more so than waking life, so I don’t grudge my sleep its fun. I just wish the cats would stay inside while I’m in bed as much as they do when I’m not.

13 comments:

  1. I don't often remember my dreams, or not for long upon waking, though there are recurring themes, places, and scenes, depending on what stressors are in my life at the time.

    Your thought that the hospital was a version of the vet clinic seems logical to me, though I also have no suggestion as to why Tungsten and Brazil were featured. I will leave the dream analysis to the experts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most curious part of the dream is that you found the cat you've "lost" in real life, but failed to find the cat who's still with you. Although I often dream of my cats who have passed on returning, as though we were just temporarily separated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dreams are a weird mess of stuff now days

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've no idea what dreams mean, and like Kim, I rarely remember the ones I have mere moments after waking. Undine's comment was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually dream about my cats, and maybe that's a good thing. I think I would probably find a dream like the one you had, in which I lost a cat, very upsetting. But like Jo-Anne, my dreams seem to be getting weirder and weirder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some interesting dream. Sadly I dream about the last thing I watched on television. I try not to watch Jaws before I go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have very strange dreams, some I remember and some I don't. I often dream of Eric and Flynn, but very rarely of any earlier cats. Ivor has very vivid dreams, usually being chased by wolves. I don't know why wolves because we don't have them here. He shouts at them in his sleep and one night let out an almighty kick at them. Luckily (for him) he missed me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You remembered a very Vivid dream. Sometimes I remember mine and other times I wake up thinking I wished I could remember. Maybe you just have getting Brazil and Iago to the veterinary and it's worrying you when you're sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dreams can be fascinating. Often, it's the feeling I have when I wake up that makes me wonder, "Now, what the heck was that supposed to mean?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had several very vivid and frightening breams about my cats being lost in the woods behind my house. I remember them as vividly as though it had just happened. But for the most part, I seem to dream about work. Strangely, those dreams are in "low light" as it were. Never bright and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning ‘lost cat’ dreams; they would be most disturbing to pet-lovers. And many of my dreams have their outside scenes in a strange light, dim, not quite real.

      Delete