Thursday, October 3, 2024

Not All Disarrangements Are Bad

I slept better last night, since Moxy was quiet. He started yelling when I had to get up in the middle of the night - a severe cramp in the calf of a leg - but he reverted to silence soon after. He continues to show himself a very friendly fellow, with enough force behind his desire to rub up against a person to knock the person over. He is eating well, though he has pooped only once since the weekend. That may not be cause for worry yet, as he is consuming only soft food. He has a doctor’s appointment scheduled for Tuesday; there appears to be nothing wrong with him - no old scars or injuries from being outside, a chipped tooth but no bad breath, moderate softness to his fur - so the veterinary visit will be a general examination.


The closing of the door to the library has wrought some unexpected changes among the residents, especially Indigo, who is the most affected. Bereft of her usual haunt, she is checking out what the rest of the apartment has to offer, though its space is itself limited with filled boxes. She is curling up on a cushioned dining room chair, and resting in the hall near the front door. I have still been able to deliver her insulin injections, which previously required her to be lying next to me.


She is marginally less annoyed with the proximity of other cats, and has found a new spot in the cylinder-house cat-tree, which she has never visited priorly. This led to a startling episode when Imogen, who likes to jump up to the top of the cylinder, realised that her rival was within, and bounced off the tree as fast as she had arrived on it. No cat was injured in the making of the stunt, however.



Because Indigo sometimes picks on Neville, I have put him in the bedroom with Imo when I leave for work (Imogen and Brazil still go at it from time to time). The Nevsky is more affected by altercations with Indie than is Brazil, so incarceration in the bedroom relaxes him.


On the subject of Shimmer, he is more agile than Nev and, though made more cautious by Indigo’s animosity, is not overly bothered by it, so he stays out with the masked one. His agility may have served him well yesterday, since I came home to this scene.



One other change that Indie probably felt strongly is in the matter of litter-boxes. She had been aware of other boxes in the apartment, but has not before used them. I came home to find a puddle of urine in a shallow box - fortunately, not one that I needed for moving (I’d hate to waste a good box) - and I suspect it was Indigo. I watched her last evening, sniffing out the various boxes to which she had access; I have placed for now a triangular extra box in the bathroom. She eventually used two different boxes, for both wetting and pooping. After being used to your own washroom, it’s tough to have to resort to the general lavatory that everyone else uses.


I think Indie misses the times when I would sit on the library couch and she would join me for some snuggles. But to compensate, she spent almost the whole night on the bed with me - on the opposite side from a disgruntled Imogen. Even when I had to get out of bed at about 2.30, Indigo remained where she was, waiting for my return. She purred while next to me, which was nice to hear. I hope this becomes a habit with her.


So far, Moxy’s influence has actually been of benefit. We’ll see if that continues when he meets everyone…

11 comments:

  1. It all sounds pretty hectic. I can imagine what a relief it'll be when you and the cats are finally settled in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Undine's comment. It was what I ws going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to second echo Undine's comment. Hectic seems a bit of an understatement. Hopefully it won't take long for the four-leggeds to settle in once you do move. I rather suspect things will be hectic for you for longer, though. Moving is a huge undertaking. Fingers crossed that will go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leg cramps are painful and I am glad I don't get them very often
    Things seem a bit hectic at yours but that's what moving is like
    I am pleased that Moxy's influence has been a good one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things are progressing, hooray for Moxy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that Moxy is settling in and that's a good thing. I know you'll be glad when your move is over and everyone adapts the their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad Moxy has settled down and is allowing you to sleep. Maybe he started yelling when you woke with cramp because he was annoyed you had the nerve to wake him up!
    It seems everyone is settling in to the new temporary arrangements without too much fuss.
    Poor Indi with having to make do without her own private litterbox and having to share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds as though the fun and games continue in
    the Cosy Apartment.....And Moxy has made his mark
    to..Bless! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all sound like they're doing fairly well with the upheaval of your packing. Imogen a bit like a boomerang when she flew off the cat tree now wasn't she.

    ReplyDelete