I had to cut Rhapsody’s claws yesterday. I had done it once before some weeks ago, and they needed them shortened - and blunted - again. Previously, she was moderately co-operative. Not this time. She must not have known what was happening the first time and didn’t care for the result. This time, she was the opposite of co-operative. Rho was Valkyrie-like in her bouncing and jetting, firing herself out of my arms every couple of seconds. Unlike Valk, however, who was simply very annoyed at the affair, Rhapsody was fearful, though I tried to keep her calm. She helpfully illustrated the need for what we were doing by stabbbing a claw-point deep enough into my finger to pull it with her when she next leaped away.
Perhaps that persuaded her she should remain more calm, and I was able to complete the process thereafter, once I had wiped away some of the blood.
Done for another couple of weeks, anyway…

Man, that is a fearful job! I just gave up. Robin and to an extent Admiral were the only ones that allowed even a few clips.
ReplyDeleteOuch! Hopefully, next time she'll realize it won't hurt her.
ReplyDeleteI imagine she thought she should be treated to a mani-pedi at a day spa. Not having someone at the Cosy Cabin use a chain saw for the job.
ReplyDeletede gurl wood rather eat litter N trim me clawz....eye just had em done...her can noe longer trim de dew claw coz eye go ba lizz tik...eye due get a fancee feest tuna pack afturr werdz tho...sew that helpz
ReplyDeleteOne more scar made by love.
ReplyDeleteOuch!! But hopefully next time trimming Rho's claws won't be so difficult (or painful). But I've had Pete for 5 years, and giving him a manicure is still a major production.
ReplyDeleteSome of them just won’t have any of it.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have a lot of trouble trimming our kittie's nails, but when we had MJF (Dog), he needed a muzzle, else I wouldn't have any fingers left. The two dogs we have now are not thrilled but they endure without fuss. I have to hide the clippers from sight to Benji; if he sees them he runs outside...fast, LOL!
ReplyDeleteSorry you now have a battle wound, needful of the purple heart for kitty care giving bravery, and being wounded!
Gosh, this is one reason we let the vets do the job, if needed. Hopefully all were good in the end and the wounds healed.
ReplyDeleteERin