When the kittens were about to eat solid-food for the first time, I tried to devise a way in which each would have his share of food without the hungriest or the most dominant taking from everyone else. I thought of putting each in his own box at feeding time, each with his own dish. Everything would be segregated and individual and fair.
That was the idea. This is the reality.
The kittens were not about to stay in boxes, nor would they be hungry all at the same time, nor would they eat or want the same amounts. What I do now is pile food on a dish and let who wants to eat, eat. Then, after the contents of that dish have been consumed - I am reminded of the story that piranhas can strip a cow’s carcass of its meat in a minute - I put another amount, usually half of the first portion, on the dish for those who are still peckish or who missed out.
For learning about raising kittens and cats, there is nothing like first-hand experience. There is nothing like reality.

Hahaha!
ReplyDeleteLikening kittens to piranhas...
When I worked in the maternity ward at the animal shelter, we would give each kitten in the litter his own bowl containing 1/3 of a can of kitten food. Each kitten would eat as much as he wanted, and those that wanted to graze could do so.
ReplyDeleteI would think it difficult to decide who wants what. Now with a full plate they must learn to share and share alike, not likely.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteI've only had a 7 weeks old baby as the youngest we raised. The boys chose her...it was Robin, from a litter across the street. She was soooo tiny. We were clueless and had to rescue her from beside and behind appliances.. make sure she didn't get between the storm door and the house door when closing the house door...so many many many things. Don't sit on her...and for heaven sake, don't accidentally kick her as we walked and she darted in front. That was so punishing to us that we just walked with our heads down all of the time, all 4 of us.
I have to say, in that photo they *do* look like cute furry little...piranhas.
ReplyDeleteCute shot of dinner time.
ReplyDeleteYes, reality hits when you have real kittens in the house with their almost overwhelming needs. Rather like a friend who takes in foster children and her teen girls got a good lesson when they were asked to take a newborn for 3 weeks. Those girls are sure they don't want a baby until they are good and ready.
ReplyDeleteTrue hunger games.
ReplyDelete