Now that the Tempos are developing, I am experimenting with their independence. In a few days, they will be eight weeks old, two thirds of the way toward being old enough to be adopted. This, combined with Rhapsody evincing some cabin-fever, persuaded me to keep her out of the library through the dark hours last night.
Unfortunately, since I don’t want the kittens roaming about unaccompanied by either me or their mother, I could not keep the library door open while I slept, so Rho had either to be out or in.
As it transpired, all went well. I woke a couple of times to find Rhapsody in the bedroom, up on Minuet’s cat-tree, looking out the window; she doesn’t have much of a view from the basement. I think she may have been a little bemused as to what she should do with her new opportunity. It was night, everyone else was asleep or trying to be, so she knew that it was time for rest, I’m sure. Nonetheless, it was new to her; she didn’t have a particular spot, and was probably uncertain as to what liberties she could take. But all of that will be settled with practice.
For their part, the kittens appeared untroubled. I did hear a couple of strange noises from the library, but neither were what I would have attributed to the Tempos. Checking on them, I found them snoozing, and in the morning, they rose from various sleeping positions to greet their mum and me with no special relief.
Rho does want back into the library from time to time when given the chance to enjoy the wider spaces upstairs, so I know she still worries about her babies. But she gave no proof of anxiety during the night, did not scratch at doors or cry. Whether she stays for a short time or a long, she will need to integrate into the crowd at the Cosy Cabin, and the kittens will have to learn to do without mum. Last night seemed to give an indication of continued satisfactory progress.

It sounds like Rho enjoyed her break from the kids, and the kids didn't mind being away from their mom. As you mentioned, the kittens will soon be old enough to be adopted, and I'm certainly going to miss hearing about them.
ReplyDeleteShe’s raising them right, to not need her.
ReplyDeleteThat seems like a good start to the rest of their lives.
ReplyDeleteIt's good that they can explore different rooms at different times. It will be difficult for Mom when all the kittens are adopted out and she can't find them anywhere. I always feel bad when I'm by the cow pastures in the calves have been taken away. The cows stand mooing for hours at a time.
ReplyDeleteGosh, the weeks have flown by! I'm glad Rhapsody and her kittens were fine throughout the night, separated. I can imagine Rhapsody appreciated the break!
ReplyDeleteRho is putting her paws out to freedom!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like both Mom and the kids appreciated a bit of freedom. An excellent start!
ReplyDeletehay ewe wee kittenz…ewe knead ta startz learnin ta use a cell ewe lar dee vize sew ewe can send messagez, take fotoz, shop online, surf de web….that way when ya getz adopted, ewe haz that on yur rez oooo may ‼️πΈπΎπ
ReplyDeleteAnd keep in touch with their mum.
DeleteI liked how they are experiencing some freedom
ReplyDelete