Monday, June 1, 2026

That Irresistible Something

My late good friend Tucker used to join me at the dining table for meals. He liked my company, I am sure, but that at meals was for a more practical reason. The roly poly liked pretty much anything a human ate, and was certain of at least a morsel from my dish.


Moxie shares some of the Tuxter’s characteristics; a fat head, for example. The Mixer also joins me for meals. But he disappoints himself more often than not, for he doesn’t care for much of the food I eat. It smells and looks appetizing; the fact that I am consuming it must mean something to him. But offers of chicken, beef, gravy, the rare taste of ice cream; none of these appeal to him when they are brought forward. But pork is something else.


The high fat content of pork may be the difference, the aroma that may be stronger to a cat, the texture… Who can say? A cube of roasted cutlet, a bit of fried ham; the pork can be in any form, and it won’t be denied a place between Moxie’s teeth.


But his attraction to pork may be something else, something more calculated. After all, I never refuse him a piece. Why? Because he doesn’t care for anything else. So when pork is on the menu, he is undoubtedly going to receive some. I won’t withhold the one human food that he likes. There in may be the plan.


One never knows what’s going on in the feline mind.


12 comments:

  1. From the look on Moxie's face, I think we can tell what's going on in his mind - "Where's dinner??"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Moxie usually looks very stern in his pictures, which is not like him at all.

      Delete
    2. He does look stern. Was dinner late??

      Delete
    3. Dinner is always late to a cat.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy a cats company at the table. Miss Poppy was like Mr Moxie - although she only enjoyed ham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moxie knows what he likes and he wants what he likes. And when you have it I guess you better dish some up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He just has good taste knows what he wants! And if it's bacon, well, there's not much better than crisp bacon. With deepest apologies to all the millions of pigs, and other food animals, that suffer because of us. (Argh, now I want bacon, eggs, and home fries.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "put down the camera and feed me "look ;)
    MOL!!!!!!
    Purrs Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to hand out the pork."

    ReplyDelete
  7. consigliere unkle boomer loved hiz pork chopz….heerz hopin him N de
    cat father iz N joyin a chop rite now πŸ₯©‼️πŸ–€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ–€πŸ˜ΈπŸΎ

    N moxie….triez a ham samich sum time πŸ’šπŸΎ

    ReplyDelete