Sunday, August 11, 2024

A Number for Indigo

It’s taken a while but I at last was able to take a reading of Indigo’s blood, to determine the effects of her current dosage of insulin.

It was more difficult than giving her insulin, since that is delivered by a very thin needle, and can be injected over a wide area. Blood is taken from her ear or a toe-bean (which would be impossible for many cats, considering the wide-spread feline dislike of having their feet touched.) Even the ear presents problems; Indigo doesn’t mind hers being held (briefly) but being poked by a needle, necessarily bigger than an insulin-pen’s needle, is another matter. As soon as I poke it, Indie often shakes her head, scattering any blood that comes out; sometimes she rubs the ear, smearing the blood; other times, she changes position. The means she has of inadvertently foiling collection of a sample are endless.

But yesterday, after I poked her, she remained stationary long enough both for a small bead of blood to form, and for me to put it on a test-strip. The result showed that, with two units of insulin, her blood-sugar number fell to 12.1.

The ideal range is from four to eight, but 12 is pretty good. When first tested, she was above 19. I will contact the veterinary and inform her of the reading. She may want the dosage increased. Another unit may drop the number into the perfect range. If she considers 12 to be adequate – and it is – then this level will suit Indigo well.

Ideally, a curve would be performed: samples would be taken every two hours – or more frequently – to show the insulin’s gradual effect throughout a day. But that would be impossible with Indigo right now, so I chose to sample her blood at what was probably her nadir – the lowest point the number would reach, typically five to six hours after her injection. I will try to take some blood each weekend.

Now, at least, I know not only that the insulin is having a good effect on Indigo’s blood-sugar, but it is dropping it to an acceptable level. I am pleased.

13 comments:

  1. Poor Indigo, I can imagine that having your ear poked with a needle would be a startling experience. But it's good to know you're getting positive results from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could do that. Meaning not only does Katie dislike anything that invades her sense of safety, additionally I am squeamish about causing any semblance of pain. Useless cat owner, in a manner of speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep stayin healthee indie....ewe R brave ♥♥ st francis' blezzinz...az all wayz ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poking any cat's ear every couple of hours seems rather unfair for the cat, though I know you've had to do it innumerable times. At least Indigo won't have to suffer through this for the time being!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if there was any kind of numbing cream that could be used on cats, and found this bit from an article from The Veterinary Nurse, dated June 2, 2017:

    "To minimise the sharp pain associated with needle prick, the RVN used lidocaine 2.5% prilocaine 2.5% (EMLA®, AstraZeneca) cream that was constantly applied to the ear. As a result, the patient tolerated hourly blood sampling very well and did not show any signs of discomfort or stress. EMLA® cream has been proven to numb the skin before the painful procedure in humans (Gwetu and Chhagan, 2015; Kucukoglu et al, 2015) and in animals (Flecknell et al, 1990; Keating et al, 2012). Wagner et al (2005) has also tested EMLA® cream in ill cats and concluded that it was safe to use."

    Has anyone heard of this or use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of using Lidocaine cream either. It sounds terrific. I wish I knew about it when I had diabetic cats. Giving them insulin wasn't too bad, but performing blood sugars was another story...

      Delete
  6. A good thing that you finally got a reading. I really dislike causing discomfort or pain for my cat. But you have to do what you have to do. Hope Indigo does not need a higher dose, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to get a reading. I do hope the level is satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is good news that Indigo's numbers have improved. I can't say I blame her not liking her ear pricked. It is bad enough when they take my bloods weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the insulin dose is working.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, when two of ours had diabetes (years ago now) I really disliked the ear stick. Both cats tolerated it rather well but I hated doing it.

    ReplyDelete