Monday, October 2, 2023

This Is Just a Test

I had to conduct a test with Brazil over the weekend. Because he is so timid, there was no certainty of being able to put him in a carrier if it was required. He will definitely have to go to the veterinary some day, and, thinking positively, he may have the exciting trip to a new home to make in the future. As well, there is always the possibility that he and the other beasts will need to be evacuated in an emergency. These made it necessary that I know that I could put him in a carrier.


Unlike my other cats, I couldn’t simply lift Mr Shimmer and insert him into the box. He doesn’t like being carried; indeed, he dislikes even being held right now. He does, however, submit to being petted and stroked along his back. I think he may even enjoy it. Unfortunately, that is the only time I can seize him for transport. I can, now, usually persuade him to stop what he is doing and accept some pets. This day, as I was petting him, scruffed him and moved him slowly toward the carrier that had been sitting on the floor for several days. I moved him a few feet at a time.


Brazil resisted a little but the scruff did what it was supposed to and, though he was not entirely immobilised, he struggled too little to wriggle free, and I was able to put him into the carrier and shut the door quickly behind him.


He was annoyed, to say the least. I didn’t keep him there long. The test was to make sure he could be incarcerated, not to determine how long he could be in there. I let him out a minute later. His tail was poofed and he was angry and frightened.


Yet, half an hour later, he allowed me to pet him again, and I could have grabbed him a second time then. I believe that this little fellow, as extremely shy as he is, wants to trust someone, wants to have a human of his own, and so is willing to put up with periodic betrayals.


When Shimmer needs to go somewhere, such as a veterinary hospital, I will bring the carrier out again days in advance and open it, ready for his insertion. At any time, I will have only one chance for a half-hour or more, and in an emergency, the tension may be palpable to him, so it will be essential that this test be conducted. Now, I know I can do it without help. Neither of us will like it - indeed, I regretted it greatly this weekend - but it will be achieved if the situation demands it.


Such are the sometimes distasteful duties of being a cat’s guardian.


13 comments:

  1. Heavens to Betsy, after 11 years, Precious so hates the carrier that I can do nothing to encourage her to relax. I hope Brazil will not be too frightened or angry when he really must make a trip in the bag. I put hers out a month before the annual vet visit, spray it with the Feliaway stuff and try to get her to visit the bag, but she knows why and what and she does not want a thing to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good boy, Brazil!! We think its good that you let your foster dad do that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful news. I am so proud of him for allowing it albeit with anger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to hide the carrier until the last moment and my cats are OLD but they still hate the dreaded carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the experiment went pretty well, all things considered. I have yet to meet a cat who didn't HATE being in a carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being scared of the carrier is in my opinion pretty normal for some cats, this is good news

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor sweetie. I used to leave the carrier in the main hallway for a week or even longer before scheduled appointments. I'd put treats in it when the boys were outside or otherwise occupied (at irregular intervals), but that made NO difference at appointment time. I swear they could smell the change in my tension levels and none of my angels ever adjusted to being wrestled in. The top loading carrier worked better than the older ones, but even so, I donned thick gloves and would wrap a winter scarf around my neck to protect my skin from scratches.

    I do not miss that part of pet parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a carrier that can be opened from the top as well as the front. I
    bring the carrier out the night before a cat has to go to the vet and leave the front open. Some of the cats will even sleep in it. When it's time for our appointment, I close the front opening and load the cat into the carrier from the top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've yet to meet a cat that liked being placed in a carrier. Brazil may have been upset but it seems to have gotten over his pique quickly. Good boy!

    ReplyDelete