Thursday, October 26, 2023

Upheaval in a Small World

I learned yesterday some discouraging news. Brazil will be coming back to live with me. As you can imagine, this is very disappointing. This was his chance and, I am certain, he won’t have another. The young couple who had taken him in are very worried about their cat – not the one for whom Brazil was intended to be a playmate - but her roommate. She is sick.


That is distressing, of course, but Brazil’s integration would have waited. He was doing quite well. I was impressed with how he was coming along: he was eating freely and playing by himself with toys. There were other reasons given for wanting Brazil to leave and, though I don’t think they are entirely feasible, there may be, as a friend commented, other circumstances of which I am unaware, or the circumstances of which I know may be more significant than revealed.

 

Even so, this will be hard for Imogen, whom Brazil was harassing. Aurora seems to have learned the same behaviour from Brazil and chases Imogen, so Imo has taken to staying up on the kitchen cupboards. Aurora stands a fair chance of being adopted sooner or later, so that would have passed. Brazil will likely be with me permanently.

 

There was always the possibility of Shimmer coming back, but I thought it would be after the family had given him the agreed month’s-worth of trial. Taking in Theodore and Chiff, I considered it a good chance that they would be adopted in that period; Brazil being elsewhere is why I took them in. For the time being, then, I will have seven cats living with me. The Cosy Apartment will be cosy indeed.

 

I am also worried that Brazil will be affected by his time elsewhere. He will be confused, even if he is back with me, the poor guy. I will have to see how he is when I collect him later today, which action will itself likely be an ordeal for him.


On top of this, Aurora goes for her spay today. She will need to be kept quiet and calm afterward, which of course is an improbable prescription for a kitten, though I will try to follow it.

 

Brazil has not met Theodore and Chiff, so their introduction will simply add to the apprehension of the coming weekend.



17 comments:

  1. Well, I'm disappointed, of course, but not really surprised. Poor Brazil, for a cat who can't handle changes, he's certainly seen more than his share of them.

    Seven cats, most of them youngsters! It sounds like the feline version of "Cheaper By the Dozen."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wishing all the cats the best. Hopefully Brazil will remember the Cosy Apartment and who knows, maybe he will be a good playmate for the two kittens. And Aurora to be spayed and then recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is their last thing I thought would happen. I feel badly for Brazil. I feel just as badly for Imogen. Certainly, I feel badly for you This is a hard thing to have to juggle there with everyone. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear I am disappointed too. People it seems excel at that trait, and our kitties are the ones who suffer the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I must say, I'm a bit hacked off at this couple. It's so unfair to Brazil to take him out of a home where he was just getting comfortable, only to disrupt his life yet again by sending him back!

      Delete
  5. Oh, poor Brazil! This will be upheaval indeed for everyone in the Cosy Apt. Best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh brother, I feel so bad for Brazil. Not that he is coming "home" to the Cozy apartment but because of the disappointment of not being given time to integrate. I can understand the family's concern with their other kitty, but won't the companion cat need companionship anyway?
    In the meantime, I wish you the best with 7 cats/kittens in the apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are sorry to hear this for all concerned -for Brazil, for Imogen, for the couple's sick kitty and the one needing a playmate. And for you, but you have the best chance of getting a handle on all of it. Purrs and purrayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not the best news and I feel sad for Brazil having his chance fall through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel badly for you all, especially for Imogen and Brazil and you. There's not much to write, John, except that I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and am hoping adjustments will be smoother than anticipated.

    As for the couple, I also was thinking there might be more going on at their end than is realized. I doubt they meant any malice, perhaps life has just gotten out of hand and they can't deal with one more thing. You will likely never know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dood…therz a reezon why ewe R knot in that houz…we noe itz gonna
    bee mor N ruff on dad and we hope ewe N imogen will bee come friendz….yet we hafta say : welcome HOME buddy 💙🐟🍀💚

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky these kitties all have you to care for them, and to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Brazil. Hopefully all will be calm and he will just be glad to be back "home".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! It sounds like you have your hands full. But I'm a believer that everything happens for the best even if it doesn't look like it at the time. So I believe that Brazil was meant to be with you. Hopefully he will re-acclimate to The Cosy Apartment with no problem, he will stop harassing Imogen, Aurora will do well after her spay surgery, and Theodore and Chiff will be adopted quickly. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! Bless him..!x At least he's coming back to
    surroundings he knows..and knows you of course
    John...think your gonna be a bit busy, to say the
    least...Perhaps with seven kitties, they'll all be to
    bothered watching each other to cause trouble...! :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! A cozy apartment indeed! Prayers all goes well 🧡🙏

    ReplyDelete