Monday, March 18, 2024

Emori in the Morning


Emori was silent during the night. She is used to spending the dark hours in her own room in her foster-home, due to altercations with another cat there; her foster-guardian thinks that Emori rather looks forward to the quiet and solitude of a restful night. When I came in to the library this morning, I found Em on top of a bookcase.


She has no trouble at all in getting about. Lynn (of Lynn and Precious) gave another example of a tripod-cat, her Angel Peepers, whose mobility seemed unimpeded by the loss of a leg. I think that animals, once confronted by a situation that they instinctively know will not change, simply adapt; unlike some humans, they don’t worry about what might have been or what was. If they can cope, they cope; if not, they don’t. Mostly, they cope.


Emori would do well with the right cat, but she is a good candidate for those people who want only one. She is friendly, highly adaptable and, if her current situation is a standard, largely untroubled by change. She is eating less than I would like, but that, I think, will change - or would change - with time. In the meanwhile, she is a good weight, and is eating, so I am not worried. Her litter-box visits have already been satisfactory, and she makes little mess, which surprised me; I expected her disability to mean that she would have to throw some litter about in her exertions. That isn’t the case.


This little cat is one appealing roommate.


Marietta wanted to read my previous entries about Emori, so here are their links:


https://ihavethreecats.blogspot.com/2023/09/spanners.html 


https://ihavethreecats.blogspot.com/2023/10/another-birthday-to-report.html


https://ihavethreecats.blogspot.com/2023/10/a-family-portrait.html


8 comments:

  1. Dearest John,
    Thanks for the links and the top one I had read but not the next two as I was fighting for my own life.
    Wishing Emori LOVE and stability in her life!!!
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emori is a beautiful cat, and I love the picture of her. You and Lynn are quite correct - cats with disabilities adapt quite well. I've seen many disabled cats, (tripods as well as those who are blind and those with cerebellar hypotrophy), who act as though there is nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mention of blind cats reminds me of my late friend Sammie, of fondest memory. She lived a year after her first stroke, quite blind, but otherwise in good health and excellent spirit. She learned to cope with her sightlessness admirably.

      Delete
  3. She'll make someone a wonderful companion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And she's such a pretty cat, too. I'm sure some lucky person will want to adopt her.

    ReplyDelete