Thursday, March 14, 2024

New Help for Old Bones

Renn has been exhibiting some odd behaviour lately. His vocalisations, which are not new, have become more pronounced, and more frequent. Though they are often heard as he is coming out of the litter-box, I don’t believe they are symptoms of pain, since he doesn’t talk while in the box, and he also talks at other times, even when he is simply trying to get my attention. As well, they don’t sound quite like representations of pain.


This video was sent to his veterinary who agrees that it doesn’t seem to be coming from pain or discomfort. There was even mention of some mild form of dementia. Since these sounds appear to be a more prevalent form of what he has done for some years, that would make sense. However, he will be having his anti-inflammatory medicine switched, as the one he is on now does lose its efficacy after a while. That too is a possible reason for his cries.


My big boy is going to the doctor today. In an unrelated problem - or, perhaps, related, but only by age - Renn has been quite unsteady in his gait and looks to me to be having some trouble standing or lying down. Once up or down, he doesn’t have discomfort, but in the process, he seems troubled by more than just co-ordination.


Therefore, he is going to start receiving injections of Solensia. I first read of this drug in the Eastside Cats’ blog; Sweetie receives it to ease what I believe to be arthritis. I read about the medicine, talked to Renn’s doctor about it, and have decided to try it on my old man. Though the doctor stated that the makers of Solensia caution that it might take as much as two of the monthly injections before the effects are felt, a technician at the hospital tried it on her cat and saw positive results within a couple of weeks. In any case, I hope that this will make old age a bit easier for my veteran.


16 comments:

  1. That old expression that getting old isn't for sissies holds true no matter what our species, it seems. I'm sending Renn much love and hoping the change in anti-inflammatory and the injections improve things significantly. ❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unsteadiness couldn't be a side effect from his anti-inflammatory medication, could it? Whatever the cause, I hope the Solensia helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seney started caterwauling non stop about the age of 17 and she lived to be over 20. I would be in the garage and hear her through the door as I unloaded groceries, etc. We had a shared bathroom wall at the time and I had to apologize to the neighbor as Seney would get up on the counter and do the same. I am sure it was "old age" and sad to hear her. I hope Renn does well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I notice my super senior Boo (she's 20) vocalizes more but in part I think hers is related to her hearing declining, do you notice any of that in Renn? Keeping him in my purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renn sounds a lot like Sweetie!
    Here's hoping the Solensia makes a difference; it has for our whiskey-and-cigarettes lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not being a cat personn I know nothing about the health of cats so found this intriguing, thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest John,
    Hoping all goes well for Renn, without any nasty side affects.
    Yes, our kitties encounter the very same problems as we humans have to live through. The only difference is that they can't talk!
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you're going through with Renn sounds like what I'm going through with Danni, who will be 19 next week. She also has increased vocalizations and is not as steady on her feet as she once was. Since she also has arthritis, the vet started her on Solensia. I give it to her by injection once a month and after two injections, I have noticed an improvement in her activity. She is more coordinated when she walks, she seems more alert, and she has been able to climb up onto the coffee table, which she hadn't been able to do for awhile. I'll be anxious to hear what the vet finds during Renn's appointment and how he does on the Solensia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this helps him. It helped my niece's cat after one shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, Admiral did that too. She had illnesses and I think she was in dementia the last 8 months.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He seems ok using his hind leg to scratch, whch makes my hip hurt just to watch. Hope all works out for him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our Brian received that drug too and it helped him lots in his later years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the Solensia works well for him. Anything that makes them more comfortable is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! Bless him....Love the sound of a cats voice....
    Hopefully it's not out of distress...!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poppy often did that in her last years, especially at night when she sleot in the spare room. She was soothed by me calling out to her. I was never sure if it was dementia or deafness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hopin all goez well for ewe two day dood, and az all wayz blessingz frum de heer roe oh trout towne. lotta cater wallin with de seniorz
    heer, loss oh hearin it came frum, and they wanted ta shout ta bee
    hurd 🐟🐟💙

    ReplyDelete