Friday, March 29, 2024

Making a Deposit

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Good Friday. Here, despite the promise of renewal that is implied in the Easter season, the weather is still wintry: overcast, just below freezing, and ice pellets, alternating with light snow.

However, there is better news inside. Since his return from the hospital, Brazil has been eating well. He has not continued to consume food as if ravenous, but he is eating. I offered him some Merrick chicken from a tin, when his enthusiasm for Fancy Feast faltered, and he is liking that; he has had it before, and I will move his offerings about when needed.

But he had not deposited any solid waste in a litter-box since that hospital visit. As it may have been a day or so prior to that when he had left something in the litter, it was a cause for worry, especially since the veterinary had seen, via an x-ray, an amount of poop awaiting its chance to appear.

Each night, Brazil has been locked in the library, so I would know that it was his product in the box come the morning; I did the same when I went to work. A telephone call from the hospital to check up on Shimmer led to the doctor’s declaration that Brazil should come in again on Monday, if nothing was forthcoming. Considering his reaction to this last visit, I wanted to avoid that, if possible.

Yesterday, I gave the reluctant crapper a dose of hairball medicine, in the hopes of coaxing the reluctant interior to give up its loot. That seemed to do what was needed, and a decent amount of poop was awaiting discovery in the litter-box this morning. It was flattened, so I suspect that it was softened due to the hairball medicine. I will give Brazil another dose of it today.

That in itself is a bit of good news, too. Like catching Brazil for incarceration in a carrier, capturing him for the hairball medicine was easy. He allowed me to inject the substance by syringe into his mouth, and did not resist. Afterward, he didn’t run or hide. This is quite a change even from the last time I had to give him something by mouth. It bodes well for future necessities, if providing medication.

15 comments:

  1. Dearest John,
    That sure is good news about Brazil!
    A good Friday for you so to speak.
    Wishing you a Happy Easter!
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for poop! I well know the stress, and then relief (no pun intended) of dealing with kitty constipation. I hope things are smooth going on all fronts from here on out.

    Happy Easter, John. May it be a peaceful, uneventful long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having to return to the vet is always good news !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Called "alls well that ends well" and in Brazil case, it was from the end that it should be, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure Brazil would be "relieved" too knowing he won't have to return to the vet's office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sure hope everything comes out alright!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that Brazil is feeling much better. And it's especially good to know that he won't have to return to the vet on Monday. It seems that cats always get sick on a holiday weekend when the vet won't be available.
    John, I hope you and the cats have a blessed and peaceful holiday. Happy Easter, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A most happy Easter to you, too, Roberta, and your family.

      Delete
  8. I am glad the hairball medicine worked and avoided another visit to the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, but the phrase "reluctant crapper" made me chortle. And it's very good to hear the little fellow managed to avoid another vet visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH I wish I could do that for Katie. Good job Brazil!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been missing so much! I did read through all the missed posts. Good that Brazil is eating and um...pooping properly again! At least no vet visit in the near future! Phew!

    I hope you had a great Easter Holiday! And Easter Monday as well. We always had a 4 day school weekend when I was young, and in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete