Friday, March 15, 2024

The Subject Was Renn

I was able to discuss a number of Renn’s problems yesterday with his doctors. I spoke first on the telephone with one of them about providing Renn with Solensia, to help what I perceive is his arthritis. The doctor said that that was certainly an option, and that it has helped a couple of cats whom the staff at the hospital have. (In addition, a number of bloggers’ cats have benefitted from it, for news of which I thank my readers.) Then she suggested that, if I could, I should come in that afternoon; not only could Renn be given his injection of the new medicine, but there was a slot free which could be used to give Renn another ultra-sound reading. A second doctor - whom I have also been consulting for some years - would be in the hospital then and, as she was more practised in ultra-sound reading, she could take a look at the results.


Both veterinaries examined the ultra-sound and again pronounced Renn’s bladder healthy for its age. There is a small object within it but, as was considered on previous occasions, it has neither the look nor placement of a tumour. It is believed to be a polyp.


This led to talk of Renn’s use of anti-inflammatory to fight what is probably the frustratingly idiopathic cystitis. My big boy has lost more bigness lately: he’s down a pound in weight. The doctor thinks this is due to the kidneys leaching protein due to the anti-inflammatory. We knew this could be a problem: it was always a matter of reducing discomfort in Renn’s bladder at the risk of hurting his kidneys. The doctor believes there is a chance that Renn’s litter-box problems are caused more by arthritis making difficulties in his position than in a false need to urinate initiated by cystitis. In that case, the Solensia would help greatly. However, it was admitted that this is a long shot. What it will probably come down to is the original choice: uncomfortable bladder or deteriorating kidneys.


Nonetheless, all opinions are that the Solensia will help my oldster. It will likely need a few weeks to show effects, though - possibly coincidentally, possibly not - Renn ate a good breakfast this morning for the first time in my memory. As regards the continued use of anti-inflammatory, that will be determined in the near future. He returns in a month’s time for another injection of Solensia, so that will likely be a good time for a decision.


And on to Renn’s increased vocalisation… The doctors didn’t think it was due to discomfort or pain, which confirmed my belief. Renn often talks loudly when he’s emerging from the litter-box but not during its use, which I think argues against there being pain in the process. He talks when he’s simply sitting on the bed, or when he wants my attention. More than one fellow-blogger has commented about the possibility of deafness, and yes, my old boy is growing more deaf. I noticed his difficulty in hearing as long ago as a couple of years - I am careful not to startle him as I approach - and it doesn’t seem to have lessened. Why cats who are hard of hearing need to make sounds, I don’t know, though it probably has to do with instinct: needing to know that they can at least hear a little, for safety’s sake. My very-oldster, Minuet, was completely deaf and rarely made a sound; once the hearing is gone, I suppose there is no sense in trying.


So yesterday was a day of progress with Renn. Despite his weight-loss and the postponement of a decision about the anti-inflammatory medicine, pending observation of more effects, some things were done, some things were determined. The next few weeks will be important to my old man.



12 comments:

  1. Be well, Renn. You'll be getting the best possible care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all seems very promising for Renn. Of course you cannot keep his old body going indefinitely, but while he's still here, you are doing everything possible to keep him comfortable and pain-free, still with decent quality of life. Lots of smooches to sweet Renn, he's still my favourite of all your cats. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renn has my heart as well. I am hoping that whatever the decision is in the next weeks will be one with which you and Renn are comfortable. I feel sure both of you will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renn, you are walking a difficult path now, but we wish you the best and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is no fun getting old, but I know Renn will be kept as comfortable as possible, and hopefully the Solensia will help him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing Renn the very best for his next stage in life—never easy for any aging elderly kitty or human.
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aging sucks not just for humans but animals as well which I sometimes feel people forget about

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are getting to try the Solensia with him. Hoperfully that will have some good results for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that Renn received a fairly good report from the vet, and that's great. I'll be interested to hear how he does on the Solensia. Hopefully it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Renn....well done....hang in there..Bless!x
    And keep those vocal cords exercised...! :).

    ReplyDelete