Tuesday, March 5, 2024

We Have Heard the Crimes at Midnight

Last night, I was asleep, as I often am at night, when I was woken by sounds of running, thumping and dropping. I looked at the clock and saw that it was precisely on midnight. I knew who was about such an hour: it was Brazil, playing.


Despite not having a friend to chase and wrestle, Shimmer enjoys his games. He will often leap on a fuzzy mouse, knock it about, then speed away, as if the toy were after him. Then he will return, at a similar velocity, shoot past the mouse and down the corridor, or up a cat-tree. The difference was that this time, he was doing it in the dark, and while I was trying to sleep.


But it didn’t bother me. I enjoyed hearing Brazil have fun as much as he enjoyed having it. I want him to have a companion, someone to play with, but he is a cat who can make his own games, too, and his excitement and activity can reach a height as great as that when playing with a friend. So I listened to him run about, scurry on the uncarpeted floor, bang and scratch against the cat-trees, and generally commit all sorts of crimes and misdemeanours against household serenity at the darkest of hours.


A little later, I fell back asleep. In the morning, Brazil was in the saddle-topped cat-tree in the bedroom, himself just waking. We both had had a good night.


15 comments:

  1. The night time fun is really a special kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such an adorable cat! I do hope he finds a good forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet guy. I'm glad he can still have fun without a playmate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to know he has such a good time making his own fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that Brazil had a great night. Lol. I remember that Nicki would carry around a favourite toy mouse at night and meow his head off while doing it. I didn't mind that, either. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hearing about how Brazil loves to play at night was nice, glad that he has such fun with his toys

    ReplyDelete
  7. An exciting night no doubt. Brazil is able to keep himself occupied with fun and games it seems. Nice to see such a good picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great picture of Brazil. Like Brazil, my Willow loves to play at night. She sleeps with me, so often I'll find her toys in my bed when I wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest John,
    That indeed makes a kitty parent feel happy!
    Our Tiggy Tiger girl can be hyper at night and it is just fine.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed Brazil's night as much as you did and I can understand why you did. I love hearing the thumping, the dropping and announcements as to family being ferried into the room. here...and the jingly ball hitting the baseboards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great midnight fun for Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brazil being the bestest Brazil that ever Braziled!

    ReplyDelete