Monday, May 29, 2023

Dabney in the Lions' Den

For those who are wondering about Astrid, I can write that she has not had her kittens yet. We are still waiting impatiently for the big event. Her foster-guardian has seen and felt the babies move inside the mother-to-be, and estimates that there are five. That would be a large number for such a young female cat to have, but certainly within the bounds of possibility. Astrid has spent a couple of uncomfortable hours in the early mornings, due to her approaching time, which surely can’t be far off now. In the meanwhile, she is allowing - and enjoying - belly rubs, pets, and strokes along her soft-furred back. Then she remembers that she has to protect herself and hisses. Such ferocity isn’t quite credible anymore. I will keep everyone apprised of developments.



And back in the Cosy Apartment, Dabney’s integration is progressing very slowly, though not unsatisfactorily. He sneaked out of the library last evening while all the others were dozing after dinner. He crept through the assemblage without much bother, until one and then another woke and noticed his presence. Then he slunk back to the library as though about to be ambushed. He doesn’t know he’s not, so one cannot blame him.



Since Dabs is reluctant to come out and meet the others, I am leaving the library door open, under my supervision. I dislike having his safe-room violated by the residents, but he needs to see them, and see them behaving normally and without threat. I allowed Percival, the most inquisitive and forward of the lot, to go into the library. He ate some of Dabney’s food and lie on the blanket on the couch, and then left. I was quite pleased at his restraint. I think such actions will do Dabney good - despite the fact that the intrusion caused him to resemble a movie villain who was about to cut someone’s throat. Just before bedtime, with the library door still open, he was about to come out and explore, but had the misfortune to run into Perce and Neville simultaneously. That was too much for him and he retreated.


Nonetheless, I am optimistic about his eventual integration. I think the trouble is that, unlike Percival, who was indifferent to other cats, and Imogen, who merely disliked other cats, Dabney is afraid of the others. Considering the scratches and scrapes he suffered outside, I can’t blame him for his fear. But the Cosy Apartment has a good, likeable group of felines, and I don’t think Dabs will be long in figuring that out.


15 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for Astrid and her soon-to-be-born babies, and also for Dabney's integration. He was bullied outside, yes? (I'd have to go back and read your post, though I seem to recall he was not part of the group.) If he was, that would be enough to put him off other cats--until he learns he's safe. He seems to be doing well overall, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think he was bullied by the feral colony. Though they made him feel unwelcome, they are not an aggressive bunch. I think he was in a fight (or fights) with other, unidentified cats.

      Delete
  2. Dabney probably has never had a cat-friend in his young life. It does sound like he's feeling braver, though.

    I hope all goes well with Astrid. A while ago, there was a young homeless girl cat in our neighborhood. Before anyone was able to catch her and get her fixed, she had SIX (!) babies. And she was still practically a baby herself, poor thing. (Note: She and her kittens are all now socialized and have homes, thank heavens!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each interaction that Dabney has with the others, without a confrontation, is a good one. I'm sure he'll learn that in time too.
    I do hope Astrid's birthing experience goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks as if Dabney as a bit of ear tip missing. Not good for him and may indicate why he wants no part of multiple cats appearing to confront him. When actually they just want to meet and greet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dabs has had some damage done. Fortunately, it all appears superficial and/or minor. The effects are more psychological than physical, I think.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the update regarding Astrid. Hopefully all will go well with the delivery of her kittens. Please keep us posted when the "big event" occurs. As for Percy - since we suspect he had a rough time before he came to the Cosy Apartment, it may take awhile before he realizes that the Perma-cats are friendly. But with patience and love, I'm sure in time he will adjust to his new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - I did say Percy when I meant Dabney. See, the Cosy Apartment has so many visitors, I can't keep everyone straight!

      Delete
    2. There's no need to apologise. I have a hard time getting them all straight at times myself.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you John, I think Dabney will acclimate to the others in his own time when he feels comfortable with finding them nonaggressive. Can't wait to hear about the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Dabney. I really hope and wish things go well for him in combating his fear. I would have been sad to see him shrinking back at the door out of fear. Astrid...I think your babies will be here by mid week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sad that the other cats didn't accept him when he was outdoors. Hopefully he will soon realise he is with a friendlier bunch now. I hope Astrid has minimal problems delivering her kittens, and they arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slowly, slowly...they all have to realize that no great brouhaha will occur .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dabney's cautiousness is good in that he won't try to bully the others...Hope that soon he'll realize the others could be cozy bedmates and playmates.
    Astrid its good you were given a chance at a whole new life...and we hope your kittens will all be well-born, and soon.

    ReplyDelete