Sunday, May 21, 2023

Secure in the Night

Imogen has taken another step forward in joining the usual suspects in the Cosy Apartment. This one surprised me.

I suspect that Imo spends most nights curled up in the house atop the cylinder-house cat-tree. It’s her favourite place, and I have often found her still there when I wake in the mornings. Lately, she has been venturing into the bedroom more, and spending time on the tall bookcase near the window. But she has always slept the dark hours away somewhere else.

Two nights last week, she slept on the bed with me. The first time, I heard somecat coming up the staircase to the bed. I knew it wasn’t Renn or Neville, as my two oldsters were already on the bed, at its foot. Percival was on a cat-tree by the window. Dabney was, then, locked in the bathroom. It could only have been Imogen. She walked across me and lie down on the far side, against me. She remained for most of the night. The second time she did this, I was already unconscious when she arrived, and woke to feel her next to me.

I had thought she was committed to spending the night elsewhere, a cat who preferred not to be on the humans’ bed. I think she will not stay every night there, but that she did, twice, is a great change for her, an indication that she likes my company and feels secure in it, and untroubled by the others on the bed, though I felt that they were always the least of her concerns.

Had Miss Silky slept with her previous person? Or had she not been allowed or determined not to, and that was why it took so long to decide in this case? We will never know. I do know, however, that having Imogen lying next to me gladdens me, and makes the night’s rest seem more complete.

14 comments:

  1. I like to think she misses the human contact and is ready to trust that you are safe and not a threat to her. Wonderful news :)
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. I love feeling Katie's warmth up against me. I am warming her, but she too is warming me. To feel the tiny movements in her sleep never fails to make me smile if I happen to be at least partially awake. I'm so glad your Imogen has taken to the bed with the others. And you know, I don't fall asleep as quickly nor do I sleep as well unless she is with me. I don't like to be alone with her sleeping somewhere else. Makes me feel strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful -- and sweet -- development. We are so happy Imogen is feeling confident enough to sleep next to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly a wonderful development. In my opinion, it clearly shows Imogen trusts you, and trusts the other cats not to disturb her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's so sweet! Imogen certainly feels safe and secure with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HeHe! Hope she does'nt snore...! Bless her..!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful to hear that she is seeking out your company at night. Also good that she is unconcerned that there are others already on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love little footsteps in the night and the little jump up onto the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful! As others have noted, she definitely feels safe with you now, and with the others too. She's made such great strides with you, John. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If only Precious would sleep with me in the winter when we both could use the warmth. But she holds out for summer when the ceiling fan is on all night over me to cool things down! Imogen is doing good as she did not feel put off her quest for bed sleeping by Renn and Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great news. Imogen is really blossoming!

    ReplyDelete