Saturday, May 20, 2023

The Next Step for Dabney

Dabney at last used the litter-box so, in the belief that he would not go outside of it in a more sensitive environment than the bathroom, I have moved the newcomer to the library.

He did a great deal of sniffing in his new quarters, of course. I cleaned it before moving him there; the scents of vinegar (my cleanser) and of other cats were strong, and Dabs took it all in. He ironically has been crying to get out of the library more than he did the bathroom, but I think that is temporary. Right now, in fact, he is lying quietly on top of the shorter bookcase next the window.

Now, comes the interesting period of getting to know my guest. He is young, probably no more than a year; despite not having been neutered, he had developed nothing resembling jowls. I suspect he has a strong personality, letting me know when he is dissatisfied – he huffs with displeasure as did my late friend, Mr Parker. I have been spoiled with my last five integrations (Horace and Hector, Zofia, Percival and Imogen), none of which caused me – or the perma-cats - much difficulty. I have a feeling that Dabney may end that run, though who can say?

Tonight is movie-night, so I will be able to spend a couple of hours straight with the boy. He is friendly enough for touching, and is used to it, and that’s a good start. We can accommodate all sorts in the Cosy Apartment, and we will get used to Dabney, as he will get used to us.

16 comments:

  1. I see Percival is now on the adoption column. Did August get a forever home? Dabney should enjoy movie time alone with you. He is, as all cats are to me, extremely handsome. Make extra popcorn and have a great Saturday night at the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August is still available for adoption; one of those fellows the public's lack of interest in is inexplicable. I change the side-bar from time to time, to have people notice. I am looking forward to a good movie and getting acquainted with Dabney.

      Delete
  2. Glad things are going smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a whole new world inside for that sweetie. I hope you two enjoy a fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Percy the best of luck in getting adopted, but I'm sorry to hear that August still has been unable to find a furever home. Meanwhile, Dabney looks right at home. I'm sure he'll enjoy his time at the Cosy Apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your movie and time with Dabney. I'd think Dabney will be a bit more reticent after his issues with the outside cats. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like things are progressing nicely with Dabney. We hope you both enjoy movie-bnight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad Dabney is using the litter box. That is always a big help! It looks like he had a good exploration before settling down. I hope he enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HeHe! Bless! Can l suggest a nice quiet film for
    movie night John...Don't want anything to loud,
    like a war film..Might be a bit upsetting for Dabney,
    and what a nice name..! :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I interpret his expression in that last photo as, "You're not the boss of me." 😁

    I hope the integration, when Dabney is ready, goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope movie night went well. It must have been quite a novel experience for Dabney! (As a side note, as a cleaner I use a mix of equal amounts white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. It's particularly good for removing cat odors.)

    P.S. I'm baffled that August hasn't been adopted, too. He's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DOOD !!! a flyin fizh pazzed bye N said ther waz a new rezz a dent at de cozee a part mint ....we canna stay long two vizit but did wanna say WEL COME and we iz buzzed happee yur livin large N in charge N inn side now...best best fishzez, your coatz awesum, ewe R one handsum fella ! ♥

    ReplyDelete