I have obtained different toys for the cats through the years. The simplest ones seem to be those that provide the most diversion: fuzzy mice, little balls, and the improvised ones such as boxes. I have tried track-balls at least twice in the past, and they have proved to be extemporaneous beds more than playthings. I thought nonetheless that I would attempt to interest the beasts in one again. This time - whether it is due to the cats being different than those in the past, or if the setting of the Cosy Cabin has had an influence - the trackball has proven a success with a pair of them.
Perhaps not unexpectedly, Moxy likes to play with the new toy. This is, after all, a fellow who will charge into an empty box to hear the bang as he hits its enclosed far end, or will fight the base of a cat-tree just because it’s carpetted. The fat-head can find enjoyment in almost anything.
It surprised me when Imogen also started playing with the track-ball. My attempts to record in images her fights with the ball would always induce her to stop playing. But today I caught her at it, due, perhaps, to the unusual placement of the toy. It looks like I am moving again, but it is simply the Saturday routine. Each Saturday morning, I sweep the kitchen floor, which means moving the chairs from around the dining table, gathering up the toys and boxes that normally litter the linoleum, returning them to their places later. I set the track-ball on a chair out of the way and heard the ball coursing about its groove a minute later.
It’s good to have another source of enjoyment for the beasts, even if it’s just for two of them. And, of course, a cat-home can’t have too many obstacles over which the human can stumble.







Don't trip on anything, the kitties would not like it if you sprained an ankle. Well, I'm jealous, you have a store bought toy they enjoy. I need to box up and send you a supply of toys.
ReplyDeleteStore-bought and useful: weird, eh? I forgot to mention that it was given to me, so I didn't pay for it. That might have been the key.
DeleteThat you were given this probably IS the reason they're enjoying it. Had you spent your own money, no doubt it would continue to be ignored!
ReplyDeleteThat's probably exactly it.
DeleteI do suspect that cats spend a great deal of time privately snickering at us.
DeleteOh yes, the more cat toys for the human to tiptoe around, the better!
ReplyDeleteMy cats seem to like the track ball, (or maybe it's the corrugated cardboard in the center that they use as a scratching post.)
ReplyDeleteGlad they like that one.
ReplyDeleteI am glad Moxey and Imogen are enjoying the track ball. Anything put in a different than usual place seems to attract attention.
ReplyDeleteMine always loved the track ball including Katie, but as they (and she) aged, they lost interest. BUT I am not allowed to remove it or any other thing they own.
ReplyDelete"a cat-home can’t have too many obstacles over which the human can stumble."
ReplyDeleteI must add that to my collection of immortal quotes (MOL, MOL, MOL)!
guyz...trax ball iz de bezt if itz got a " lotta noize " and iz uzed at say 2:39 aye em !!! ;) ☺☺♥♥
ReplyDelete