Here is an interesting thing about Imogen I learned the semi-hard way.
She will use a hooded litter-box. She will use an unhooded litter-box. But she will use them slightly differently.
When urinating in a box with a hood, she aims high, so that the results hit perfectly on the seam between the box’s hood and body. The urine then spreads along the seam, and inside it. When I scoop, I must also wipe down the edges of the two halves, including the grooved edge of the top, which is annoying.
When urinating in a box without a hood, Imo aims low. The result is that the stream not only hits the interior of the box, but is often low enough that it hits the actual litter. I think there has been only one instance of Imogen shooting over the rim of a hoodless box. Furthermore, the amount of litter that she throws out of the box is about the same, whether hooded or otherwise. I have therefore left the boxes that Miss Silky uses most, uncovered.
Her poop is left just lying on top of the litter in all cases…


Our cats sure know how to keep us on our toes and keep us guessing.
ReplyDeleteI'd be going with an unhooded one too, if only to stop Mrs H getting her head caught in the hooded sort when she is on litter scoop duty ;)
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely, un-messy week
ERin
At least now you know not to leave covered boxes for her. Kit always left her poop on top too, but the boys would come along and cover it for her.
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing at this even though I realize it's not funny when it comes time to cleaning up. Precious on the other hand just loves to dig and bury, therefore when she's done the floor is covered in cat litter.
ReplyDeleteOh, Imogen.
ReplyDeleteThey do have their methods...
ReplyDeleteIt is like they purposely try to annoy. :)
ReplyDeletePipo used to do that aiming up and away...the higher the sides the higher he aimed. I had to keep pads behind and upwards with any and all boxes. When he stopped aiming high was when he started to pee outside the box...sheesh. That was in his last year or two. He didn't cover anything, and when Minko was still with us, he always did the coverup of anything Pipo had left, LOL!
ReplyDeleteI go thru the seam thing with Katie in her hooded box. She always aims high and the made me change to a hooded one within a month of welcoming her home here.
ReplyDelete