Now that Rhapsody has been shown to be free of viruses, etc., I have begun her integration into the household. It will be a slow process, but I have started with Moxy.
The Mixer of course has been eager to meet the new cat. The first encounter was less than auspicious: I let Moxy peek around the corner of the open door to the library. Rhapsody saw him and charged across the floor, tail poofed. Moxy turned his own tail and ran up the stairs. He didn’t stop until he reached the top of the tallest cat-tree in the sitting room.
The next day, however, was a bit better. I was able to maintain control of Rho, though she was not as combative this time. The two beasts sniffed noses for about thirty seconds. I let it go on too long, though, and Rhapsody, thinking Mox was becoming fresh, slapped him.
But there has been no hissing, no growling, and the second time the pair met showed me that there is the potential for tolerance. On the weekend, I may put all the others in sealed rooms and allow the Mixer and Rho to meet with plenty of space and time. I think each instance will be an improvement on the previous.

I hope things go well. I wonder if Rhapsody might be feeling particularly defensive around other cats because of her pregnancy?
ReplyDeleteI wonder that, too. It's not the most opportune time for integration, but I don't want to leave it until after the kittens are born; Rhapsody'd probably feel very protective then.
DeleteDr. John in his lab coat, watching and writing notes on the experiment.
ReplyDeleteI was going to mention that was well. Looks like we are all of one accord.
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I can't help but laugh at the vision of Moxey charging up the stairs and leaping to the highest point he could find. I hope Rho accepts Moxey better with more space for introductions.
ReplyDeleteI concur! Moxy taking off like that gave me a chuckle. At least no fur was flying! I do hope it goes well when they both have more space and perhaps Rhapsody feels safer.
ReplyDeleteUndine raises a good point - Rhapsody may not be feeling very sociable since she is pregnant. But having her meet the other Cosy Cabin residents now is better than waiting until after the kittens are born.
ReplyDeleteIt may take longer for a mama-to-be to feel safe around strange cats, since she has her kittens to think of, too. Your slow and steady pace sounds excellent.
ReplyDeleteRhapsody had the upper paw at that first meeting didn't she.
ReplyDeleteShe did. But Moxy is always content to let the other cat set the pace - though he is a bit forward at times.
Delete