Sunday, February 8, 2026

Great Disappointment


In a greatly disappointing development, Indigo’s sensor stopped working last night. It lasted only about twenty-eight hours, rather short of the two weeks it is meant to. This is not the first time this has happened with one of these sensors. The worst instance was one placed on Neville that stated the ‘sensor is ended’ the first time I tried to read it.


Having had a day’s worth of readings from the device is not much consolation. It gave very high readings, which tells me something, but I wanted to see the effects of Indie’s insulin dosage over the long-term.


Tomorrow, I will call the company that makes the sensor but I expect no satisfaction, as it is not meant to be used on cats, and that will probably release them from any fault in the matter. The only benefit of this abortive operation is that I now know that Indigo will tolerate the sensor. I will probably try another, but not for at least a month, probably longer, since it will mean another stressful trip to the veterinary hospital for Indigo. She needs a rest from such upset for the time being.

14 comments:

  1. That is odd. I confess I know nothing about such devices, but is there any way to try to reboot it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is, it will have to come from the company.

      Delete
  2. For her to get shaved in winter and this attached would have been worth it if it had proven itself useful. Hope they have some kind of refund. At least say they are sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having sensor problems. You might be correct to think it isn't meant to be used on cats. However, since it obviously wasn't working properly, I can't help but wonder how accurate its blood sugar readings were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was the first concern I had... same as Roberta's. Are the readings good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hate to sound stupid, but if it's not meant for cats why did the vet office give it to you in the first place??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a common practice these days to apply the sensor to diabetic cats and dogs. The beasts' people buy it, and the veterinary hospital attaches it. But the company that manufactures it does not include veterinary use among its applications, so such use is not 'official'. Nonetheless, it usually works very well, and in the same way as it does on humans.

      Delete
  6. I would question those high readings too, given the device is defective. I know Derry didn't need sensors for long, but the several he had worked well, as far as I can recall. I wonder how many of the same product are giving humans this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stinks, all that trouble for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't expect that experiment to go pear-shaped like that!
    Rats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very disappointing. I also wonder if the readings you got were accurate as the sensor is defective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m holding out hope the defective sensor was the reason for high readings.

    ReplyDelete