Monday, February 23, 2026

The Mother-to-be

Rhapsody is pregnant.



I had a feeling she was, based on the distended nipples on her abdomen, her fierce appetite, and the slight roundness of her midriff. A cat as young and obviously healthy as she should have been leaner there. Readers of the blog remarked on her bowed sides when they saw her photographs. Still, I was hoping there was another reason for these indications. There was not. Occam’s Razor is the theory that the simplest explanation - the one requiring the fewest assumptions - is generally correct. Occam should have grown a beard.


The veterinary believes that Rhapsody is about 26 to 28 days into her gestation period, which usually lasts about 64. The kittens are therefore due to arrive in approximately five weeks. For the time being, the plan is for the little mother-to-be to remain in the Cosy Cabin.


I am not completely devoid of experience in the birth of animal babies. I seem to recall that my family’s dog had puppies about half a century ago, so…


In other news, Rho’s ’snap’ test was negative, meaning that she is free of FIV, FeLV, and heart-worm, and can begin her integration with the other beasts in the house. Her heart and lungs are in good shape, her teeth, as well. However, due to her pregnancy, she could not be vaccinated. That is not a big deal, as it is very unlikely that my cats will pose that sort of danger to her. Neither could she be de-wormed, so I must collect a sample of her feces to pass on to the hospital.


This revelation - or, rather, the status the revelation revealed - has changed things at the Cosy Cabin, as may be imagined. There will be constant vigilance on my part, extra service of food and litter-boxes and, probably, boiling water. There is always water boiled in connection with births. I better start filling pots now…

13 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t worry too much about boiling water. Just make sure she has a cozy, private place to nest when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought she looked too rounded when she was stretched up playing the other day. I am glad her tests were negative. That is one less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the cowboy movies it's always clean sheets to be ripped in the bandages and a pot of boiling water going. Hopefully when you help deliver these kittens those items won't be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, kitten season comes to the Cosy Cabin. We'll want a web cam and live feed, of course. (Semi-jesting)

    Never mind the boiling water, you'll need a snifter of brandy and a cigar - for yourself, of course, in your role of foster dad. πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my oh MY! I recall how excited I was when Blackie was pregnant. She chose our kitchen pantry to have her babies. 5 of them. I was a 12 1/2 yr. old! She wasn't ours, but chose us. Probably because my brothers were 8 and 10 yrs. older than me. And I was quiet as were they. She was at my house more than the people's house who actually could lay claim to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm betting you didn't want to find "cat granddad" on your 2026 Bingo card...at least her babies will be born in safety, rather than out in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. rhapsody, de manee blezzingz oh de heer roe oh trout towne; st francis, two ewe N each oh de wee kittehz….may everee thing be smooth az butter, de kittenz N ewe bee happee and healtheez and a happee earl lee motherz day two ewe…πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸΎ‼️ N buzzed happee that sew far yur tezt ree sultz haz been grate…pawz crozzed for ewe…N eye bet de cat fatherz got hiz box oh cigarz reddy for when him bee comez an unkle in law 😸😸😸🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second what Undine commented above!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor baby, she is just a kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow! A near kitten having kittens!
    Hope it all goes well...and way back when, I was told the reason one is sent to boil water is to get them busy and out of the way...LOL, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete