Tuesday, February 3, 2026

Sable's Saga Continues

Sable is doing well in the Cosy Cabin, though her progress from her feral state has not been as far as I would like. It’s been fifteen months since I trapped her and brought her inside, and I still can’t touch her.


On the other hand, she is doing well. She has formed her own routine - which seems to include appearing late for meals, despite knowing well that it is time to eat - and does enjoy aspects of life inside. She shows no desire to return to the outdoors; she gazes out the windows sometimes, but no more than do the other beasts, and, if she won’t participate in play when I am part of it, she does like to fight with the fuzzy mice and hide in boxes. Sabe has discovered a fondness for the new cat-tree downstairs; that’s where she usually is when she disdains coming to dinner. It may be that, unlike the other cat-trees - which she does use - this one has none of the smell of her house-mates upon it. Other times, she is at the foot of the sitting room trees.



She sleeps on the bed half the time, even if Moxy isn’t there, which is rare. Indeed, I think it is due to Moxy that Sable has made the progress she has made. He doesn’t care for her as much as she does for him, but they are friends, and if he doesn’t like spending time with her as much as he should, he doesn’t mind her presence.



I may have to escalate matters a bit and try touching her when I can. I think as long as I simply touch and don’t make a fuss about it, don’t follow it up with any further action, she may grow used to it. I worry that she may be sick some day, and I won’t be able to help.



But I like to think that she is better off indoors. She had survived probably a dozen winters outside, and that’s an extraordinary number for a feral cat, due likely to the meals people were making available to her. But the odds against a feral mount alarmingly as the years go by, and, as I had to give up the Cosy Apartment, it would have meant one less person feeding her; perhaps I had been the only one by then.


So it’s the indoor life for Sable from now on. Maybe some day, she will trust me enough to receive pets from me. Maybe some day, she will trust me as much as she does Moxy…


10 comments:

  1. Perhaps using treats to bribe her near?
    Have tried this with Henry, to encourage him to jump onto the bed, but so far, it's a no-go.
    However, I'm as stubborn and focused as a cat-lover can get, so he and I will come to an agreement at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible that she was a feral for too many years to ever fully trust humans, but at least you're able to keep her safe and, I think, happy. She even has a buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you could touch dude when his schedule permitted it, and ONLY when his schedule permitted it…and woe be the person who tried to pick him up when his calendar day was marked …don’t mess with me🙀‼️🐾

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were certainly right to bring Sable indoors, and you're doing everything you can to make her enjoy being an indoor cat. Hopefully, with Moxy's help, she will become more socialized. In the meantime all you can do is keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good plan. Reach down for just a touch to the back or head when she's close by. Like Eastside Cats Henry. Nice she likes the presence of Moxy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Undine might have the right of it, but who knows? Yes, at least she's indoors and safe and from what you can see, content now. That's no small thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't feel bad. I have had my ferals since June 2021 and can't touch them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you will find some way to work with her and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She probably has never had closer contact with people apart from being fed, so may never accept close company. She now has warmth and shelter, plenty of food, and the company of other cats if she wants it. I think that is a huge improvement in her life. Tiny improvements, no matter how slow will always be welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am surprised she is recalcitrant. I thought by now she would just see that there is no harm to her, and that Moxy would let her know...he can...that she is safe. I think she has THAT down, but now to get her to allow touches...that is important certainly for the reason you stated. She will need handling eventually.

    ReplyDelete