Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Hearing Her Age

One of the results of losing two of my beasts at once is that I observe all the more closely my remaining cats for signs of trouble. I have done this all the time, of course, as almost every cat-owner does: I note the size and consistency of waste left in the litter-boxes, the amount the cats eat, and how often they want to; I pay attention to the desire to play or the level of activity, and I watch their moods.

But two dying on the same day has made me particularly vigilant, perhaps too much so. I see that Neville has a belly that is growing round, and I think of Raleigh’s FIP. (Neville’s belly has been growing for some time, and his appetite is a healthy one, if you know what I mean…) I see that Tucker is off his food in the morning, and I think his diabetes is overwhelming him. (Tucker rarely feels like eating in the morning; his habits are peculiar…) Wariness is good, paranoia is not.

Something that will lead to difficulties eventually is age. I see it in all my cats from time to time, but most so in Josie. To be honest, she strikes me as being in very good shape for a sixteen year old. She is reasonably active (the reason in this case being Cammie’s old Z/D hard-food, which my Chubs loves, and receives as a treat), she is alert, when she thinks there is need to be, and she is eating and drinking satisfactorily. She even jumps from the bed to the cat-tree by the window now and then.

But she is slowing down. One of her favourite spots is the saddle in the saddle-topped cat-tree in the bedroom, the cat-tree that came with Cammie when she was first rescued. To get down from there, Josie usually drops to the ledge that runs under the window. Her drop is much more careful these days, more cautious. She makes full use of both sets of stairs up to the bed, the smaller set at the foot and the larger set at the side, originally provided for the princess.

The quality I have noticed diminishing most with the Great White’s years is her hearing. I have mentioned this once before in the blog, but it seems to be decreasing further. As functions go, it is probably one of the least needed by a safe, indoor cat, so I am not overly worried about its effects. Unlike blindness, though, I cannot avert startling a deaf cat by announcing my approach. If Josie’s head is turned away from me as I walk toward her, I try to make a wide arc around her, to allow her to notice me in good time; nonetheless, I always seem to materialise suddenly, and she jumps slightly. And, like a person who is hard of hearing, she must have certain words repeated to her, such as “dinner” or “snack.” Yet she hears the crinkle of a lone treat-kernel from across the room…

As I wrote, Josie is doing well (knock on wood) and I see no reason for her not to continue so. I will keep my eye on her and all she does, but she appears to be enjoying a gentle and graceful retirement. Well, as graceful as it can be when it is punctuated by rusty croaks and creaking cries for treats…

28 comments:

  1. No one on the planet would fault you for being extremely vigilant with your clowder's health, John! Josie no doubt has developed a bit of arthritis, and is a bit more cautious before she leaps. My vet tells me that there really isn't a good test for deafness in cats, other than making a loud noise and seeing if the cat reacts (!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. daisy is in a similar circumstance; at 17 she's still active; can be a bit finicky at meal times yet lately she seems to have hearing loss as well...perhaps it's "selective hearing" however when I go over to mom's house, it takes her a bit to "realize" I'm there ~~~~~~~ we will knock on wood for josie and on another door for daiz ~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie, you sound to be in excellent shape pretty girl. I think you will do exceeding well. My Katie doesn't jump up to the sink any longer though she probably could if the surface was more grippable than it is. When she slipped off a few times, understandably she quit. She still leaps but climbs instead when possible. She likes her commodious potty!

      Delete
    2. Keep it up, Daisy. Maybe if we knock on the same door, Daisy and Josie will share their good luck.

      Delete
  3. Josie looks so content in that photo. May she have many more happy years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's only natural that we become more vigilant of our remaining cats after we lose one. But Josie, Renn, Tucker and Neville have all been doing well, and I'm sure they will have many more happy years with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, Neville is a foster-cat, remember? He has to be adopted...

      Delete
    2. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but, John, your Cosy Apartment is the cat version of “The Man Who Came to Dinner.”

      Delete
    3. Man! Neville even has a 'beard'; he keeps dipping it into his soft-food...

      Delete
    4. Undine, when you're right, you're right!!!

      Delete
  5. Yes,I agree with Undine. Josie looks content and enjoying what she does best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoops...wrong place to post up yonder with the Trout towne Tabbies...


    Josie, you sound to be in excellent shape pretty girl. I think you will do exceeding well. My Katie doesn't jump up to the sink any longer though she probably could if the surface was more grippable than it is. When she slipped off a few times, understandably she quit. She still leaps but climbs instead when possible. She likes her commodious potty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can certainly understand how you feel. You take such good care of your kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely normal to be hyper-vigilant, particularly after such a loss. (I lean to paranoia, always have.) I certainly hope Josie and the others will be fine for a long time yet, as befits their respective ages and current health. I wonder, with regard to loss of hearing, if veterinary medicine will advance enough to cochlear/other implants for our pets, if it hasn't already. I should add *affordable* to that. For now, perhaps you can just think of it as "selective hearing" re: Josie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect it isn't far away. Remember that implanted glucose-meter Tucker tested? That was unheard of - for cats - just a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  9. She is a pretty lady with fur that looks fit and healthy. Long may she run. When Buddy Budd passed around 17 it seemed his hearing diminished and he also had a bit of a startled meow when I would touch him for a pet or remind of dinner.(He would nap during dinner at times as is allowed when you are of age) I became quite fond of these meows the little look of surprise that came with. After a time I think he did this more as he thought I expected it than the actual startle. Ah Buddy you are missed and always shall be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see a cat as smart as Buddy Budd doing that because he recognised the delight on your face... The little things we won't see again affect us the most, I think.

      Delete
  10. Josie sounds to be doing well, and looks well too. She probably has a touch of arthritis but sounds to be coping well with it.
    I hope they all thrive and have many more years with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us. My last boy-cat lived to 21 (!) years of age, before passing on. In his last 4 years, he gradually went completely deaf. The first clue was that he was no longer afraid of the vacuum cleaner.

    To get his attention, I kept little flashlights all around the apartment. This worked best at night, but I would flash the light near him and he would look for me.

    We even worked out a bit of sign language - there was a movement I could make with my hand, and he knew it meant "come here for petting" and he would come running. The flashlights also helped at night, as sometimes he would wake up confused and start howling. I would flash a light at him (not directly in the eyes, of course) and he would see it was me, and would stop howling.

    I hope this suggestion might help in some way. We all know how much you care for and anticipate your cats' comforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flashlight is a good idea. So far, Josie hasn't been confused at night or any other time.

      Delete
  12. Yep, we understand being on alert, we really do. Josie looks quite well and happy so that's a darn good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bit! Late on this one..ooops! :)
    I do agree with what every ones says here..
    Neville..only a foster cat..??? Well..get on
    and adopt him John..what ya waiting for...!
    He's family now! Verstehst du...! or in my
    language..Capiche..! :o).
    HeHe! Bless! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Seney probably lost her hearing around age 17 1/2. She showed signs
    by caterwalling too much too loud that she had never done. I think she
    felt lost. But for another 2 1/2 years,she adapted to her new life.
    It sounds as if Josie has, too. Instead of being spread thin with 6
    cats, you now have time for more worry. Hope you all enjoy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Neighbors had a much loved Yellow Lab who lived well beyond the years normally allotted a big breed and so suffered some of the infirmities of age. When roaming his yard, he wore a cape on which they'd affixed glow-tape labels. One side read: OLD DOG; the other, DEAF DOG.
    Time passed and the old fellow finally loped across the Rainbow Bridge. And then, a Yellow Lab pup bounced forth wearing the cape, but with several letters visibly altered. One side now read: NEW DOG; the other, DUMB DOG.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me smile John. Your description of Josie's retreat into 'graceful' retirement is so much the story of my Sasha. Sometimes I wonder if he's truly going deaf or simply ignoring me. As you know, he's just turned 20, and I won't be surprised to see Josie reach that milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is no cure for age and some diseases. 16 is pretty good. And I understand about observing them daily. The cats don't know that I observe their conditon like a pediatrician. I scoop their litter, I watch what they eat, when they are on my lap, I go through their fur carefully.

    May I suggest, that when you approach The Great White, you tap the floor when you want to touch her? It would give her a vibration signal that you are near and she may come to associate the tap with touch without being startled.

    I've never had a deaf cat, but it seems logical.

    I should be so careful of MYSELF that well, MOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tapping the floor, or any other near surface, is a good idea. Thank you.

      Delete