Sunday, May 31, 2020

Wider Still and Wider


Neville is expanding his horizons daily it seems. A breakthrough came last night. It was nearly bed-time, and I was conducting some last-minute research on the computer. I heard Nev’s “Er…er…” (which is principally how he talks) preceding him into the bedroom. He paused when he saw me sitting at my desk, but came over as I held out my hand. He rubbed his face against my fingers for a minute and then, when I pushed back my chair and invited him, jumped onto my lap. From there, he made the short leap to the bed and lie down until I was finished at the computer.


Though Nevsky left the room when I did, he came back at 4.30 the next morning. I woke to him settling down on the bed, though Renn and Tucker were already there. Unfazed by their presence or by me re-arranging myself under the covers, he remained on the bed until I had to get up an hour later.

This represents the first time the Nev has been in the bedroom for such a long period, the first time he came over to where I was sitting, the first time on my lap other than when I am on the sitting room couch and, most importantly, the first time he lie on the bed while I slept in it. I doubt that he slept himself, but that’s secondary to his actual presence.

This afternoon, he spent more time on the bed, completely unconcerned that two other cats were already there; they were equally unconcerned.


With the re-structuring of the household after the loss of Cammie and Raleigh a fortnight ago, Neville appears to be feeling much more at home. He ventures into the bedroom when I am not there and, probably, has been in there to stay for a period while I have been at work. This is very good news, of course, not just for his level of comfort and sense of belonging here, but also for his potential adoption: people are more willing to consider a cat who is unafraid of new settings and new people, even if he has to be given time. Neville has been given that time, and he seems to be making good use of it.

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.


9 comments:

  1. Re-structuring of the feline hierarchy is very common after the loss of a cat. Therefore, it's not surprising that you have observed a change in Neville. Since my Jessica passed shortly after Easter, I've noticed that my youngest cat, Cassi, has become more affectionate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize those words..
    There from 'Land of Hope and Glory'..
    Quite a loud and rousing British
    patriotic song..!

    Sounds like Neville is becoming
    adventurous..Bless him..and it
    looks as though he knows when the
    camera is about, bit of a poser
    that one..HeHe! And..l should know!
    Go strut yer stuff Neville..Go for
    it..! Bless!x :o).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha! Thank you Willie. I was wondering where the quote came from. Very appropriate too. Neville...if you were mine I might add, you would keep your name. It's prefect for you. Interesting too how the passing of a cat(s) can change the family dynamic as Roberta mentioned. I would not have known that otherwise without with this telling example seen in your household of furblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! How wonderful for you and for Neville to see such a
    change from shy to out going. And this will make it easier on all
    of you at home, whether Neville moves on to a furever home or not.
    You may be his furever home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevsky, you keep on finding yourself! You've got the purrfect home to do it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to see that Neville is finding his confidence and making himself at home on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post! Nev is making such big strides in the cosy apt! That last pic of him made me smile. He is looking so confident in his new world and I will add "majestic"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is terrific to see Neville feeling more comfortable with you and the other cats. What will be next?

    ReplyDelete