Friday, February 6, 2026

A Good Start to the Weekend

I couldn’t take Indigo to the veterinary yesterday, but could today. In the meantime, I gave her some antibiotics that the rescue-group had in store from another cat’s issues. They appeared to have a rapid effect.


The would-be patient missed the litter-box last night - nothing to do with infection; her bum sometimes sticks out over the edge - and I siphoned up some of the urine in a syringe. I thought that if her bladder was not full enough to provide a sample, this might do. I realised that it might be contaminated by dirt but thought it was worth the effort. It turned out that it was clean enough to test, and Indigo did not need to be punctured for a sample.


The previous day’s antibiotics had helped, and there was no sign of infection; indeed, the urine had lot its earlier, worrying pink hue. I had also observed her litter-box visits to be normal once more. Nonetheless, she will receive a few days’ worth of medicine to make sure. These are in tablet-form, which I can crush into her food. They are apparently tasteless, as she consumes food and all without complaint. (If she were not eating, I would have had to go with the more expensive and more physically intrusive liquid.)


A fructosimine test was run on Indie, and shows that her numbers over the past two weeks have been good, and that her insulin dosage is adequate.


Lastly, she was fitted with a blood-glucose sensor, and has not thrown a fit over it, or even expressed discomfort. It’s been only six hours, but nonetheless, I am hopeful it will provide readings for two weeks. I have already taken some numbers from it. (As may be seen from the illustration, the veterinary technicians shaved rather more than was necessary.) 


I’d like to thank all those who wished Indigo well over her latest troubles, and thank as well the hero of Trout Towne, Saint Francis. Today was a good start to the weekend.


10 comments:

  1. Wow, all the best answers! Keep getting better, Indigo! And how wonderful that she doesn't try to remove the foreign body...ie the glucose monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that Indie is on the mend. Hopefully this is an indication that everyone will stay well for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad Indigo has made a rapid recovery with the antibiotics, and hope she takes the pills well in her food. She doesn't appear bothered by the sensor in the photo, and hope she continues to accept it. I agree, that does appear to be rather a large part of fur that was shaved off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such great news to wake up to! I'm glad it went well with Indigo and that you had antibiotics on hand. Fingers crossed the sensor stays on! Sending her healing Light and love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for the early antibiotics and that things seem to be clearing up so quickly. Good luck with keeping the monitor on Indigo. Maybe This Time Around she will get used to it quickly and leave it on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continued and ratcheted-up purrs for Indigo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great news! (St. Francis is a particular hero of mine, too...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could get notification that ou blogged. I always am g=here and usually early. But like the rest of us, you blog when you have time and opportunity. I missed this one.

    ReplyDelete