Monday, February 9, 2026

The Cat Disposes

Though I was gravely disappointed in the failure of the blood-glucose sensor to continue much beyond one day, it took Indigo to prove that affairs are rarely in my control anyway, and usually in that of the cats.


I came home today and found that the sensor was no longer attached to Indigo. Even if it had been working well, it would not have survived being pulled off its subject.


How was this achieved? It might be that Indie managed to take it off herself, but this seems the less likely scenario. She could reach the sensor with her tongue - she licked it a couple of times, though without either enthusiasm or interest - but it was not placed so that she could get her teeth on it. Nor did it appear possible for her rear feet to be brought to bear against it. As well, she was not acting as if she wanted to take it off. Furthermore, I discovered the sensor inside the house at the top of the cylinder-house cat-tree. I am dubious that there would have been room in its confines for Indigo to remove the device.


I think it may have come off by being caught on the edge of the cylinder-house’s opening. That may be only slightly more probable than Indigo tearing it off herself, considering how secure it was fixed to her skin. It is possible that that security, while strong temporarily, suddenly gave way, and the sensor then became ready almost to drop off.


In any case, Indie’s skin does not seem badly damaged by the removal. It’s a little red but not severely so, and she has not even bothered to try to lick it, so it can’t be troubling her much. The event will have to remain a mystery, one which mitigates somewhat my feelings over the sensor simply quitting.


More productively, I spoke with Indigo’s doctor. She does not believe the readings that were obtained from the device during its brief working life were inaccurate. I agree with her, since when previous devices ceased working prematurely, they nonetheless gave good - and confirmed - service until then.


Just as Neville had a mass in his liver which undoubtedly affected his blood-sugar, so Indigo has chronic pancreatitis. Since the pancreas is intimately connected with the natural creation - or non-creation - of insulin, it makes sense that it will have a say, for good or ill, in diabetic management. While the recent fructosimine tests demonstrated that Indie’s treatment has been adequate until now, that may have changed. Her dosage of insulin will be increased, but only by a small amount. Instead of two units in the morning and one in the evening, it will now be two and two, which it has been before. I am satisfied with this, though I am wary of causing the Somogyi effect from which Nev suffered for too long. For the moment, though, the new, slightly adjusted dose will be tried.


I can’t help thinking, however, that much depends on what Indigo decides will be done.


5 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like Indie took care of the sensor, one way or the other. Hopefully the new dose of insulin will bring her diabetes under control. Please let us know how things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Indie, that huge bald patch all for naught. I hope the slight increase in her insulin will improve her numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know that it's not a very bad sore where the monitor came off. The photo makes it look rather raw. Hopefully the insulin doses that you are giving her will be well enough to take care of her issues. Certainly have her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, I hope poor Indigo didn't feel much pain when that thing came off. May things go better for her.

    ReplyDelete