Monday, November 20, 2017

The Bottomless Pit

When Tungsten came to live with me ten years ago, I had little idea just how far down the bottomless pit of cat-care I would fall. Not only have I adopted five cats in the past decade, but I have fostered or otherwise sheltered nine others for varying amounts of time. I have joined a rescue-group and spend most of my time and revenue caring for cats. It’s true that I have not done a great deal compared to many, but neither did I expect to be doing this much.

And now, I am taking care of cats I don’t even know. I am not inviting them in to my home for the Saturday night movie, but I began leaving water out for them in the summer. Then, come the cold weather, I bought a heated water-bowl for their sustenance. And now, my latest descent, is food. I have purchased some hard food for them. I haven’t seen any cat eat it, no more than I have seen a cat drink from the heated water-bowl. But the amount of food has diminished each morning. The food isn’t the best that money can buy, but it’s better than average and, I think, better than they could find on their own.


I don’t think raccoons or skunks are at it. I am told that they leave a bit of a mess behind and, except for the odd fleck of dirt in the water, and a pebble in the food, none of it has been spoiled in that manner. And I have seen cats near the refreshments, even if I have not seen them partaking of it.

To be honest, it is a small thing to do. But small acts by one can mean much to another, and I hope that this will be one of those acts for the community cats. And, as I had a spare bowl, I thought I may as well toss that too down the bottomless pit. It’ll keep all my spare time and money down there company.

13 comments:

  1. I knew I had fallen down that pit the day I realized I spend more on cat food than "me food."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how long it would be before you were leaving out food. Next will be feral cat shelters. Easy and cheap to make, with Rubbermaid containers, styrofoam, some straw for bedding, blankets.... :-) (I'm NOT suggesting you do this, of course, and you might not be permitted to anyway, just that the descent into cat care is a very slippery one. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Kea, when you mentioned that you had started leaving water out for your ferals, I wondered how long it would take before you would be leaving food out too. Welcome to the bottomless pit of cat care, John! :-) As they say, "Cats are like potato chips - you can't have just one." Meanwhile, anyone want to take a bet on the shelters!!?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. guyz...984 paws up two dad re gard less if himz feedin catz, racoonz ore a lion; it'z de thought that countz & him will be blessed ten fold.....bye de way; him doez knot think himz doin much, but two thoz gettin de food N water.....itz an eee normouz gift ~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. 🎵Consider yourself at home
    Consider yourself one of the family..🎵

    Consider Yourself Song from Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good of you John and I'm certain much appreciated by those less fortunate kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, community cat shelters. There are heated little house boxes - and you can also line a simple one with straw to keep the kitties warm. Maybe the kitties who come to dine at your patio are living in such a shelter. Thank you for the kind work you are doing for the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good heart and we're sure that are some kitties who appreciate what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a kind and generous person. You may not consider it as much, but to the cats who find you it means a huge amount.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are doing a good thing....mom says she knows that pit well and it gives her hope to see that others have found it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for taking the plunge into feeding outdoor cats. I, also, feed one feral that I know of. The cat food is inexpensive but gives sustenance. Every bit helps! Sometimes when chicken is on sale I make a chicken broth which they really love in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have no ferals here at the moment but make up for that by donations as we are able. Yes that pit seems to be very common among the cat-blog community. Thank You Fur Sure!
    Timmy and Dad

    ReplyDelete