Monday, January 29, 2018

Plans for the Future

Tucker’s diabetes continues to be decently controlled. His latest curve was a good one. This had me laying plans for the future.

The roly poly’s insulin – glargine - has always been delivered by a ‘pen’, with an integral capsule in which the insulin is actually stored. The pen I use, however, does not allow for half-unit doses. This would be a problem if it came time to lower (or even raise, God forbid) his dosage, as a gradual change is preferable to a sudden.


Parker’s insulin, of a different kind, is delivered by syringe, which allows for manual adjustment, using the plunger, of the amounts given. While this permits human error – or, rather, inexactitude – in measuring doses, it also means that fractional doses may be given. After consultation with Tucker’s doctor, it has been agreed that my cat’s glargine may at some point come by vial, and be delivered by syringe.

I will not be switching Tucker over to this method immediately; perhaps in a few months. While, as I have stated, his last curve was good, diabetes is a frustratingly uneven condition, and one good curve doesn’t mean similarly beneficial ones will follow. Conversely, one bad one doesn’t negate a series of good curves. What I want is stability. Some time ago, I reduced Tucker’s dosage to two units twice a day to achieve just that; having done it, the dosage was increased to a level more in keeping with his needs. Once I see, from a number of good curves, that he is stable at three units twice a day, I may switch him to insulin from a vial.


Then will follow a period in which I hope to note that the change did not adversely affect my sausage of a cat. After all, there may be a difference in the two kinds of glargine that will prove a disadvantage. Only once stability with the syringe-delivered insulin is accomplished will a reduction be considered.

So you can see it is a long path for Tucker. It may branch off in other directions: it may be that half-doses will not be needed, negating the requirement for syringes. But whatever path we take, it will be by one step at a time. In the interval, I will canvass local pharmacies and learn of their ability to provide what Tucker needs. But each day brings the future closer, and I want to have a good idea of how Tucker and I will fight his diabetes, once we arrive.

16 comments:

  1. I do hope the day comes when Tucker's need for medication is drastically reduced. I can't speak to diabetes since I haven't had that - at least not yet - but I can provide encouragement, crossed paws and prayers. - Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucker doesn't look concerned in the least about the method in which his meds are delivered, or how long the road ahead. He has the right idea: Just enjoy the moment, air out your fur, and let the human concern himself with everything else. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're on top of things regarding Tucker's insulin, John. As you mentioned, diabetes is difficult to control, but you're doing a great job with both Tucker and Parker. Along with insulin injections, I found that Purina DM was a big help in controlling Jeremy's diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purring for good results for Tucker. He has a diligent Dad looking after him.

    Our family had two cats with diabetes - one of them the Mom who also had FIV. She lived to be over 20, even with FIV. We gave her the same insulin shot once a day for several years. Her son only lived another year after being diagnosed with diabetes at age 15. He passed in 2008. Wish there was a way to know what their blood sugar is like the way we can with humans without checking a blood sample.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there must be many other factors that are influenced by diabetes. It's such an unpredictable condition that it may affect many aspects of health. But it's worth it, looking after these little creatures.

      Delete
  5. Keeping up with local pharmacy's ablity to service your cats needs is good information. By calling around for Chuck's meds, I found better pricing and better service, and anything that helped us get from point A to point B easier or better was golden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cat father....dood....if ewe N dad want help fightin de bass terd diabeeteez...give me N de codd mother de werd.....yea....de gobbler thinked him won de war.....de loan two..... inn deed ~~~~

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a good idea to come up with a plan in advance and talk to local pharmacies. I love these photos, I want to rub that tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos; and your care of the beasts is a loving example of being the good steward we are required to be, to all helpless beings. They are grateful and they return the love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just see the love. Tucker is one lucky cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You take extraordinary care of your diabetic kitty boys.
    Talking to pharmacists and assuring a reliable pathway for obtaining necessary medications is absolutely essential. When my cat Arthur was on a medication that was not routinely stocked, one of the pharmacies assured me they could get the med by the next day. When I arrived to pick up the medication, they informed me that they were not able to do so. They never called me to let me know! And they left us stuck without a critical prescription-weekend, of course. There was resolve but it required hospitalization for Arthur and was hideously expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pharmacies, doctors, too many people take a casual attitude to animal health-care. You'd think some of them would have pets and know how it would feel...

      Delete
  11. Tucker is very lucky to have you caring for him. Your diligence is admirable.
    Oh, I just wish I could get at that tummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We loved Captain Roly Poly on our calendar and cannot wait till tomorrow when we see who is up fur Feb.
    This IS a very difficult disease to manage and takes a combination of nutritional management, medication, exercise as able along with meticulous data keeping to make progress. My patients fall way short most times so I give a hearty well done. Tucker may you purrsever
    Dad Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support of cat-rescue, Pete, and your purchase of the calendars. My Captain Roly Poly thanks you, too!

      Delete