Thursday, May 28, 2020

Time for Two


The feline dynamics of the Cosy Apartment have changed somewhat in the almost two weeks since Raleigh and Cammie died. This was to be expected, and has been, in fact commented upon by a number of this blog’s readers. But how things have changed and why have initiated some thoughts on my part.

I have noticed that Josie has become much more needy - or, perhaps, more insistent that I pay her attention. If she is awake and sees me come in to the bedroom, where she is usually lying or sitting, she makes it clear, through voice or action, that she would like some time with me. She is also more demanding, and demanding more often, that I give her some Z/D hard-food - part of Cammie’s staple diet, which Josie gets as a treat.


For his part, Neville is also more affectionate, in his own way. His way is finicky. There are times when he hides under a chair to avoid me interacting with him. There are other times when he lolls about on a cat-tree platform, clearly wanting me to pet him. When I do he purrs and obviously enjoys the touch.

Ruminating upon these changes in behaviour, I realised that these two were the ones most affected by the two who are gone. Though I tried to give my Chubs as much time as I could, Cammie necessarily took up a great deal of it, not just in petting (she liked to lie on my chest on the bed), but in feeding and medicating. Josie was clearly watching this and taking note of the proportion of me that my princess was receiving. Now, the Great White can demand much more of me. Further, since Cammie is not receiving Z/D, it no doubt makes sense to Josie that she should inherit her late sister’s portion.

Out in the sitting room, where the Nev is normally found, he would have seen Raleigh acquire much of my time. While I was rubbing Peachy’s fuzzy head, or his fluffy chest, I would watch Neville, who would, much of the time, be watching us. I thought then that I was encouraging the newest boy, showing him that, since Raleigh was enjoying himself, Nevsky might want to partake of some attention. It may have been the he was receiving the opposite impression: that I had little time or effort to spare for him, as I was giving it all to Raleigh.


I think the changes in Neville and Josie, along with the fact that neither Tucker nor Renn seem to have altered their behaviours or attitudes much since Cammie and Raleigh departed, suggest that I may be correct. It also suggests that my cats - and cats in general - are shrewd observers, and intelligent thinkers.

It saddens me that this proves two of the beasts wanted more attention than I was giving them. Even when one tries to distribute one’s affection fairly, there will, unfortunately, be those who seem to receive more than others. It’s impossible to explain to those cats who feel left out that others are not favoured with extra affection, just extra time. To a little creature unable to comprehend completely, though, time and affection are, regrettably, often the same thing.

13 comments:

  1. I’ve had as many as six indoor cats (plus outside cats I was caring for.) I know how you feel; it’s hard to give everyone all the individual attention they deserve, particularly when some need more care than others. I’m feeling a weird sort of guilt that since Potter and Kate passed on last year, Ernie (my one remaining indoor cat) is obviously so much happier.

    I tell myself that those who have departed are in a much better place, while I can give more time to those who remain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough with so many. I like to think that at least those with the least time to enjoy life got their share from me while they could, and those who had to wait can now have theirs.

      Delete
  2. Ah! Bless! Things will change in and
    around the Cosy Apartment..And they
    will notice and miss the two who are'nt
    there any more..as you say cats are shrewd
    observers, and intelligent thinkers..

    My daughter two years ago had four pussy~cats,
    along with the two rescued Staffy's..all she
    has now is Louie..and he still struts about
    the place looking for the others, even now,
    he can't seem to understand where there gone!
    The four of them, never really got on that well,
    they put up with each other..when my daughter
    and hubby went up to the allotment..up the road,
    round the corner, Louie would go with them, he
    would sit on the fence, or in the shed, until all
    the gardening was done, then follow them home..!

    I think you should carry on doing what your doing
    John..your love and devotion is amazing..l think
    they all want their own space, but they all know,
    if and when they need you, you will be there for
    them..! And..they know that..! :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to think that in their cat way, they understood *why* Raleigh and Cammie got so much of your time and attention and that they're happily stepping up for their turns now.

    Even with only Nicki and Derry, when Nicki passed Derry couldn't (and often still can't) get enough of my attention. I don't know if Derry was unhappy about how much time Nicki took, I think he just accepted the reality of it. So I think it's same for Josie and Neville: that was their reality and now they have a new one which is more advantageous for them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen your thoughts regarding the remaining cats, work out in human terms as well. I have seen the result of necessary and seemingly constant attention given affecting another person much the same as you described regarding the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is certainly a challenge to take good care of 6 cats with special needs. Now you have 4, but you will enjoy spending more time with all
    four. Animals are so intuitive. Hope Neville really comes out of his
    shell as his fur grows in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then again, we humans analyze things like crazy, when cats just get on with life. Every one of your cats has gotten 100% from you, John. Now, things are just reshuffling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it sure is different. When we lost 4 in one year the rest of us were super lovey so we wouldn't get taken away too. It sure is confusing for us kitties sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think our cats react to changes in a household, and like people, each cat reacts differently. Some cats appear to miss the cat that is gone and they share our grief, while other cats don't seem to be affected buy the loss at all. The best we can do is give our remaining animals love and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While Josie and Neville may not realize why their fursibs received more attention, I'm sure they're quite happy to receive it now. I'm sure you did give them lots of attention before, you just have more time to spread between the four of them. (AND if you think Neville is going elsewhere....ha! I'll believe when I see it.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get that from tuna and mackerull. If I even bring tuna's comb out to give him a sprucing; mackerull can appear out of nowhere and he either pushes forward or sets back. tuna won't ever push forward when I'm paying any attention whatsoever to mackerull, but he sets back with a look of total disdain....

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only we knew the workings of a cat's mind!
    Whatever their thoughts, I am sure they are appreciating the extra attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. II got Skeeter in 1992 and LC in 1993. They became inseperable. Skeeter was a lap cat, LC never was. Skeeter died in 2008. Several months later, LC came up onto my lap for nearly the first time and enjoyed my attention there for her remaining 10 months. I was better than nothing...

    Ayla came in 2008 before Skeeter died. She has always been twitchy on my lap. A minute and off. Iza was the Lap Queen. She died April 10. Iza and Ayla tolerated each other, but were no great friends after the first year when Iza got bigger.

    A week after Iza died, Ayla became much friendlier. On my lap, requesting attention, staying on the bed at night. Not backing off when I reached out to stroke or scritch.

    We never quite understand multi-cat household dynamics until things change. In retrospect, some changes seem obvious; others are unexpected.

    Our purrs to you as adjustments are made and you figure them out....

    ReplyDelete