Wednesday, January 10, 2024

A Good Shock

Renn’s urinalysis results came in, and his doctor called me today. She told me that the fluid was “shockingly healthy.”

Everything was quite normal with the urine, except for the specific gravity. For a cat in his prime, it is about 10.5; Renn’s had been 10.24, and is now 10.2. This is, however, what may be expected for a cat with his kidney issues.

What the doctor did not expect was to see no other signs of ill-health. While surprised, she was also pleased about it. If the mass that had been seen in the ultra-sound were cancer, it would likely have given off a few cells in the urine; there would have been blood disturbance, and the red and white blood count would have been irregular. If the mass were a bladder-stone, the sample would probably have contained crystals, and/or some blood. This is particularly the case when, as the veterinary stated, there had been some manipulation and unusual handling, all necessary for the various stages of the examination.

The most probable cause of Renn’s urinary problems is a polyp in the bladder, a non-cancerous growth. This doesn’t mean that it can’t be a tumour; the doctor noted that since I am often quick to notice changes to my cats, I may have caught a cancer prior to it presenting more characteristics, though she doesn’t believe this to be the case. Nor does a polyp preclude difficulties in the future. It may grow large enough seriously to impede my big boy’s proper bodily functions.

Even with all the worse possibilities, though, the likeliest condition is a polyp. It is also the most favourable, given all the evidence.

Renn is responding decently to the anti-inflammatory drug. Meloxicam, I have learned, may not be as dangerous to the kidneys as previously believed. In any case, if it helps more than hinders, it may be continued, albeit on a less frequent and smaller scale. I will observe Renn’s habits closely over the next few days and report to the veterinary. As well, my friend will return to the hospital for another ultra-sound on the first of February.

While I certainly won’t let down my guard, things appear better for Renn than they had just a few days ago. I don’t anticipate miracles, but continued peace and contentment for a cat heading toward his seventeenth birthday is a real possibility.

15 comments:

  1. Please give Renn a pat from me for being such a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some really good news and we'll keep praying for even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now, Renn!
    Here's hoping the anti-inflammatory meds continue to help you, and that a good plan of attack...or not...can be mapped out after your next ultra-sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is certainly great news. Hopefully Renn will get a good report when the next ultrasound is done on February 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news is always appreciated!

    We hope that Renn will get over this problem, or at least that is remains stable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very good news and I hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handsome boy, this is some good news for you. What a scare you've given Doctor Bellen. Please continue in good health Renn. I've just been looking back at the year 2010 and reading a bit about you as I did not know you way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good news, I hope the meds continue to work and that the mass/polyp doesn't grow any further. A polyp isn't something that ever would have occurred to me!

    Give Renn a smooch from me, he's such a sweet mancat. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had it been me, I would have greeted the word polyp with a glad look on my face! Sure is better than what we were all expecting! Renn, you keep right on getting better and better. I am so glad of this news today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm actually not surprised by the diagnosis. About a year and a half ago, my Ernie (who is about Renn's age,) started having the same issue with urination. It was puzzling, as he seemed perfectly fine otherwise. It was eventually determined to be a polyp. The urination problem soon went away, and he, (knock wood) is still a healthy, active, and happy boy. I certainly hope the same will be true for Renn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the type of news we like to hear

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy to read good news. I will keep Renn in my prayers. XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some very good news, for the immediate future for certain.
    It did cross my mind to suggest that perhaps someone had a finger over the lens making it seem as though there was a mass. I know that's not the case, but it does seem Renn has defied the odds. Go Renn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so good to hear. We'll keep right on purring and praying for Renn and you.

    ReplyDelete